Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2011, 09:55 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default ATI 6850 Proformance Issue's

Hey Guys,

I need some help understanding what is going on with my new AMD Radeon HD 6850? To begin..... I finally got around to OC my card with afterburner. Spent a day doing benchmarks and coming up with a pretty simply OC setting. Didn't set any records but seems to be the best that I can get it to do.

-Mv 1149, 875mhz Processor Clock speed, 1200mhz Memory, 62 degrees.

Anyhow the issue is..... After playing World Of WarCraft for about 3 weeks now, my Card is running at 100% activity, 95% fan Speed (just screaming) and a temp of 63 Degrees. Im lucky to get 32Fps in the Game. The Issue?....... in those 3 weeks the card was running at only around 65-70% Activity, about 50% fan speed and lucky to hit a temp of 54 degress with a Fps maxed at 60. Ran GREAT! 3 nights ago in the middle of playing the Fans just started to scream!! I tab out to check the card values..... there pretty much all maxed out. WHATS THE DEAL? Black Ops seems fine..... fan is kinda screaming too but the Proformance seems the same.

I do have the lastest drivers and all that other Jazz...... why would it be running fine one minute than bam.... kinda messed up now? Hmmm?

Any Ideas Guys?
Old February 7, 2011, 10:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You may have a thermal paste issue a similar thing happened to my friend and it eventually led to crashing.
Old February 8, 2011, 09:17 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

DAMN! Really? What do I do about something like that?
Old February 8, 2011, 02:02 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

maybe your gpu dispart from heat sink.if you check this your guaranty will be failed.

i think this happend to your card
Old February 8, 2011, 02:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Send it in... chances are the thermal paste just dried or there was some sort of factory issue. If you can;t send it in buy some thermal paste and look up a guide on how to put your heatsink back on.
Old February 8, 2011, 03:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Not quite sure, but I want to know a few things.
What manufacturer of card is yours? If its XFX you can easily take the card apart to check the paste should you feel obligied.
I don't forsee the TIM just drying up , and I don't think that is the failing point.

My first suggestion would be to nuke all the drivers, make sure the card is set to factory default and run it to see what happens.
WoW is a uniquely badly coded beast. They do periodic updates that really mess up game play, there were points where I Couldn't alt+tab out of game due to something they changed. Got some new driver updates from both nVidia and ATi that cleared up the issue.

So, it could very well be game side too.
I'd re-do the driver install on that , use CC cleaner and driver sweeper to rid yourself of it all then re-install.

See how it runs then.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 8, 2011, 03:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Actually I was looking at some benchmarks for the 5850 (i know it's not the same but possibly same issue) where an OC'd 5850 was performing worse on a game can't remember which one than the stock. Maybe you are having this issue? restore defaults and see what happens.
Old February 9, 2011, 09:04 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks VERY much guys. Soultribunal, great advice btw.
Im just in the process of doing a complete driver clean, re-install and set things to default.(even going to delete and re-install afterburner) Will run tests right after. Will keep yous up-to-date.
Old February 9, 2011, 01:22 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

ALRIGHT! Heres the Update......

I figured it out, AFTERBURNER BETA! It had something to do with it expiring and etc? So I cleaned out my system. Installed a newer Drive, as of Feb 1st. Installed the original afterburner, which I figure out how to turn the 0 to a 1 and really OC the card. GPU 970mhz and Mem 1150mhz. The only issue I have now, is alittle instability. In a middle of a game (about every 10min) the game freezes and Window 7 says my driver stopped. Then after about 10sec's it restarts and I'm fine. Only happened playing modern warfare. Didn't happen through Benchmarks or Black OPS. Weird..... Anyhow though. I guess my issues earlier where just an 1 month old driver and afterburner beta expiring.
Im pretty happy with my Card now.... I got it passed its Clock 875mhz. The Temp is Maxed at 69 degrees, Fan at 79% and GPU max at 100%. I could live with these settings. I'll spead some more time doing Benchmarks to get the Card at little more stable. I left the Volts at stock...didn't think I would need to increase it.

Thanks again guys. Hope this Post helps someone.

P.S. I haven't tried World Of Warcraft yet. :-)
Im sure it'll be fine though.
Old February 9, 2011, 01:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSherman View Post
ALRIGHT! Heres the Update......

I figured it out, AFTERBURNER BETA! It had something to do with it expiring and etc? So I cleaned out my system. Installed a newer Drive, as of Feb 1st. Installed the original afterburner, which I figure out how to turn the 0 to a 1 and really OC the card. GPU 970mhz and Mem 1150mhz. The only issue I have now, is alittle instability. In a middle of a game (about every 10min) the game freezes and Window 7 says my driver stopped. Then after about 10sec's it restarts and I'm fine. Only happened playing modern warfare. Didn't happen through Benchmarks or Black OPS. Weird..... Anyhow though. I guess my issues earlier where just an 1 month old driver and afterburner beta expiring.
Im pretty happy with my Card now.... I got it passed its Clock 875mhz. The Temp is Maxed at 69 degrees, Fan at 79% and GPU max at 100%. I could live with these settings. I'll spead some more time doing Benchmarks to get the Card at little more stable. I left the Volts at stock...didn't think I would need to increase it.

Thanks again guys. Hope this Post helps someone.

P.S. I haven't tried World Of Warcraft yet. :-)
Im sure it'll be fine though.

Good to hear its up and running better again.
And, yeah trust me if you can get your card to burn throught he bad coding of WoW its good for anything else..

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com