Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2011, 04:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default New XFX warranty not as bad as is assumed

Ok, I had seen the stories about the new stickers on XFX video cards that said "warranty void if removed" on the HSF screws. I decided to "void" my warranty and added a full coverage EK block to my new XFX 6950. When I proceeded to register my card at XFX I read through the warranty and I found this paragraph:

** XFX has carefully selected the optimal thermal or fansink component for your graphics card model. We do not encourage the removal of components due to damage that may result in the process. XFX understands that some enthusiasts may choose to replace the original component with their own cooling solution. To support the gaming community, we recommend that you contact XFX prior to any modifications so that we can update your profile and product registration to avoid potential issues with warranty support. In addition, XFX support will be able to walk through the installation with you or provide feedback and pointers on available options for your specific product. You may even consider shipping your components to XFX and allow the technicians at XFX to perform the modification for you (shipping charges to XFX apply).

So, I sent in a ticket and let XFX know that I had upgrade my card with a full coverage block and asked if this voided my warranty and here is there response:

"That`s fine just make sure you keep the stock part..."

Please login to your XFX profile to view this response.

www.xfxforce.com .

Please remember to rate your ticket based upon your customer service experience with XFX.

Best regards,

DANIEL_E
XFX Support

So it looks like we can still upgrade our XFX HSFs as long as we let them know. I guess they want to keep track so that if you do ask for an exchange/warranty they can determine if it is a result of you screwing up the HSF or if it is a fault of the manufacturer.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old February 7, 2011, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

this is not new information...

xfx makes cards for international... so the location have different on the warranty... so dont worry about stickers if you live in canada and usa...

but i do recommend to keep the old hsf for the future...
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old February 7, 2011, 05:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Their warranty always supported aftermarket cooling. As long as you sent in the GPU with the stock cooler on it and not your aftermarket cooler, they wouldn't even know. Well they would if you did a bad job, but yea. Nice of them to at least say give them a heads up if you wanna change the cooler to a better one.
Old May 11, 2011, 02:20 PM
Rookie

Thumbs down I'm having a completely different experience

Hello, I'm living in europe, I asked the same question to xfx.
The answer was:
in europe the reseller is responsible for the warranty.
So i go to the reseller. The answer was, no it's not in warranty.
Later I talked with a technician of the reseller shop, he told me about the warranty "we do exactly what the producer tell's us. The input to give warranty without stickers has to come from the producer."

So it's like a ping pong.

Other about the support, I don't know if they have difficulties in understanding or if they are making it on pourpose. I had to send a imageshack picture to get the answer to my other question.
The answer was: "we can't answer your question." Like we don't know about graphiccards.

My other question was -if I can put a waterblock on the top of the card (to not loose the warranty), and if putting on the back of the gpu a nonconductive thermal pad and thermal paste, would create damage to the chips.

My question to you is, can I make crossfire with a xfx hd 6870 and a asus hd 6870? Or one of an other brand?

Tank you guys.
This just to share my experience.
Old May 11, 2011, 02:27 PM
Rookie

I don't think I can link one other forum, but the post taken from another user.
This another user opinion, just to let you know, maybe you where lucky. And sorry I can't make good advertising, in respect of my time and money spent.

Here's the post

I learned my lesson buying XFX. I recently put an EK waterblock on an XFX 280 GTX and the card died. I really don't know if it was something I did or not. One thing I know is that I never got a drop of water on the card.

I RMA'd the card a little over a week ago and their support just informed me that the warranty was denied because of water damage. I could understand if they said their warranty didn't cover modification done when installing a water block, but they said there was water damage which is just an outright lie.

Anyway I will be buying EVGA for my motherboard and Graphics cards in the future. There never would have been a doubt in my mind that EVGA would have replaced the card. I really don't know what I was thinking by buying XFX.

Edit
I got an email from XFX showing the back side of the card where I had to peel the sticker off to get to the screws for disassembly. This is what they were calling water damage for some reason, this just makes the support guy ignorant, not a liar, so I take that part back. If it is their policy to not allow anyone to open a card to put an aftermarket cooling device on the card, then I broke that policy. If they do allow this, then the warranty should be honored.
Old May 11, 2011, 03:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by qiplayer View Post
I don't think I can link one other forum, but the post taken from another user.
This another user opinion, just to let you know, maybe you where lucky. And sorry I can't make good advertising, in respect of my time and money spent.

Here's the post

I learned my lesson buying XFX. I recently put an EK waterblock on an XFX 280 GTX and the card died. I really don't know if it was something I did or not. One thing I know is that I never got a drop of water on the card.

I RMA'd the card a little over a week ago and their support just informed me that the warranty was denied because of water damage. I could understand if they said their warranty didn't cover modification done when installing a water block, but they said there was water damage which is just an outright lie.

Anyway I will be buying EVGA for my motherboard and Graphics cards in the future. There never would have been a doubt in my mind that EVGA would have replaced the card. I really don't know what I was thinking by buying XFX.

Edit
I got an email from XFX showing the back side of the card where I had to peel the sticker off to get to the screws for disassembly. This is what they were calling water damage for some reason, this just makes the support guy ignorant, not a liar, so I take that part back. If it is their policy to not allow anyone to open a card to put an aftermarket cooling device on the card, then I broke that policy. If they do allow this, then the warranty should be honored.
Yea most of us seen that post.

Look at the GTX 280.

Old May 11, 2011, 06:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by qiplayer View Post
Hello, I'm living in europe, I asked the same question to xfx.
The answer was:
in europe the reseller is responsible for the warranty.
So i go to the reseller. The answer was, no it's not in warranty.
Later I talked with a technician of the reseller shop, he told me about the warranty "we do exactly what the producer tell's us. The input to give warranty without stickers has to come from the producer."

So it's like a ping pong.

Other about the support, I don't know if they have difficulties in understanding or if they are making it on pourpose. I had to send a imageshack picture to get the answer to my other question.
The answer was: "we can't answer your question." Like we don't know about graphiccards.

My other question was -if I can put a waterblock on the top of the card (to not loose the warranty), and if putting on the back of the gpu a nonconductive thermal pad and thermal paste, would create damage to the chips.

My question to you is, can I make crossfire with a xfx hd 6870 and a asus hd 6870? Or one of an other brand?

Tank you guys.
This just to share my experience.
XFX will only honour their warranty if you remove stickers if you are located in North America. If you do this in Europe you void your warranty. You're probably better off asking more specific questions perhaps on a european forum, maybe one of the UK ones. Support is not equal around the globe - the sad reality is while support for XFX in north america is pretty good, I've heard stories before that it isn't that great in Europe and such. On the other hand, I've heard many positive things of Sapphire in Europe whereas many of us here have had horror stories having to deal with their 3rd party RMA company - Athlon Micro.

In regards to your crossfire question - yes you can mix any brands, and actually any cards in the same series (like 5xxx or 6xxx). XFX 6870 + Asus 6870 or whatever is fine, so is any other 6xxx series card, like 6870 + 6850. It will take the speeds of the SLOWEST card and use those for crossfire.

Old May 11, 2011, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I honestly don't get it though, how on earth do you F up a heatsink like that?

-Plato
Old May 12, 2011, 01:44 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
Yea most of us seen that post.

Look at the GTX 280.

Woo....
Old May 27, 2011, 10:48 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

That 280 pic/story is hilarious. I bet there were some laughs at the XFX service depot.
And thanks Varroa for posting your correspondence with XFX.
MAIN: i5 3570 @ 4.5Ghz wH100 / evga GTX780 SOC / MSI Z77A-G45 / 8gb G.Skill 2133 1T / 30" 2560x1600 / Antec P280 / PCP&C 950w / Intel 520 SSD 240gb / Eclipse / G3-Lazer / z5300 / Win7 Pro64 / APC Xs1300
HTPC : nMedia6000B / AMD X2 4400+ / M2A-VM / Corsair 4GB 800 / LiteOn Blu-Ray / 8800GT / Samsung 46"LCD / 2x2TB / OCZ500 / ATI550 / Wrless Kbrd & Rmte / z-5500 / Win7Pro / APC700
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" 
- Mahatma Gandhi