Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   PCI E Slots for SLI? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/40475-pci-e-slots-sli.html)

Slik February 3, 2011 07:46 AM

PCI E Slots for SLI?
 
I ordered two 580s for my Alienware from Dell and one of them was DOA. I returned them and re-ordered again. I always order hardware from thier Tech Dept as I have found that the regular sales dept people don't know much of thier own product. On the first order,the tech guy said to install one card in the top slot and the second card into the bottom slot. He said that would allow better cooling as Alienware has had some heat issues. On the second order, the rep said NO WAY! The cards must be inserted into the two top slots. He said the Alienware x58 MB is totally different than the others found in Dell machines including the XPS 730x. He also said the SLI bridge I have with my 480 GTXs will not work with the 580s as that too is different. Is there anyone here that knows exactly what the proper method is for inserting the 580s? Is there any real benefit in using the top two PCI slots as opposed to separating them and using the bottom slot? Who do I believe? Who knows how the Alienware x58 MB is configured? The cards arrived today but I don't want to start anything with them until I'm sure of the proper procedure etc. Thanks everybody!

Arinoth February 3, 2011 07:48 AM

Sounds like a crock of crap for the bridge. They haven't changed the bridge technology in years as its never really saturated the connection. The Tech guy is trying to get you to buy another sli bridge from Dell as its part of his job. Did you ever tell us using CPU-Z what the actual motherboard was yet?

Slik February 3, 2011 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 481648)
Sounds like a crock of crap for the bridge. They haven't changed the bridge technology in years as its never really saturated the connection. The Tech guy is trying to get you to buy another sli bridge from Dell as its part of his job. Did you ever tell us using CPU-Z what the actual motherboard was yet?

I'm going to find CPU Z and will report back. The tech guy is NOT charging anything for the bridge and did not even try to sell me one. I do know one thing, the first order for the 580s gave me head aches. Drivers etc. and maybe a faulty bridge. Thanks. I'll be right back.

Stock February 3, 2011 08:09 AM

If you can get your hands on the motherboard manual, please link us! or maybe take a picture

A SLI bridge is a SLI bridge, unless the previous 480's didn't work..you can rule it out.

Slik February 3, 2011 08:12 AM

CPU says Model 0xdj4c and below that it says Southbridge 82801JR{ch1or}. if that helps. Anything else from CPU needed? Thanks again.

Soultribunal February 3, 2011 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slik (Post 481655)
I'm going to find CPU Z and will report back. The tech guy is NOT charging anything for the bridge and did not even try to sell me one. I do know one thing, the first order for the 580s gave me head aches. Drivers etc. and maybe a faulty bridge. Thanks. I'll be right back.


The amount of issues you have had with that unit there are staggering in comparision to custom builds. Its really sad to see contridicting tech support.

Arinoth is correct, I think the SLI bridges have always remained the same for the most part.
So the 480's will work with the 580's.

As for the Slot Location, it all depends on how they setup their Lanes to work on the particular MB.

They might be telling you to space them apart because it runs like my EVGA SLI Board.

16X/8X/8X. In which case no matter if I populate the second or 3rd lane I have the same bandwidth available to me. The only reason I could see them saying something different is if they divided it up with say 16x/16x/4x or something silly like that. Not knowing the board itself its hard to say.
From a thermal standpoint I would seperate the cards if possible so that way you don't get two spaceheaters that close together.

as well make sure that all your old drivers are nuked clean off (driver sweeper, CCleaner (both Registery and diskclean done) etc etc. That will help a lot.

*EDIT* - Okay I see the board now, all the PCI-e slots are same colour so I am gonna take probably a good guess and say that they are same to my EVGA one. 16x/8x/8x.

My thoughts

Good luck mate,

ST

Slik February 3, 2011 08:13 AM

By the way, the 480s workrd fine. No problems what so ever.

Slik February 3, 2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 481663)
The amount of issues you have had with that unit there are staggering in comparision to custom builds. Its really sad to see contridicting tech support.

Arinoth is correct, I think the SLI bridges have always remained the same for the most part.
So the 480's will work with the 580's.

As for the Slot Location, it all depends on how they setup their Lanes to work on the particular MB.

They might be telling you to space them apart because it runs like my EVGA SLI Board.

16X/8X/8X. In which case no matter if I populate the second or 3rd lane I have the same bandwidth available to me. The only reason I could see them saying something different is if they divided it up with say 16x/16x/4x or something silly like that. Not knowing the board itself its hard to say.
From a thermal standpoint I would seperate the cards if possible so that way you don't get two spaceheaters that close together.

as well make sure that all your old drivers are nuked clean off (driver sweeper, CCleaner (both Registery and diskclean done) etc etc. That will help a lot.

Good luck mate,

ST

Thanks. The new cards are not EVGA. They are straight from Nvidia. I will wait for a bit more info and then do the deed.

vohiep84 February 3, 2011 08:40 AM

Ah man.. sorry to hear that you still havn't got your 580's running yet..

Soultribunal February 3, 2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slik (Post 481673)
Thanks. The new cards are not EVGA. They are straight from Nvidia. I will wait for a bit more info and then do the deed.


Same difference. If its Nvidia reference design, it doesn't matter what vendor you choose.

PS- I edited my post above, I am going to say you can run them in slot 1 and 3 and it would be no different than 1 and 2.


ST


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:57 AM.