Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2011, 08:45 PM
Rookie

I do not understand what you mean by extend desktops. I will try searching around to look in to that route.
Old January 28, 2011, 08:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh2 View Post
I think you can just use the TV's as monitors and just 'extend desktops' to either one, depending on which one you use as your main, can't you? In that case, each resolution will be independent of each other. If you have an audio loop cable for the video card, you can get audio through HDMI via DVI port, correct? Either way, you'd need headphone jack -> Red/White component to get sound on the S-Video TV.
He'd have to "drag" the video player onto either screen in that case. Might be slightly tricky if both screens aren't visible.

And I believe only ATI did audio through DVI to HDMI with their included adapters. Don't believe NVIDIA ever did, but I could be wrong. But like I said, any card that has some form of HDMI w/ audio support won't have S-Video that I'm aware of.
Old January 28, 2011, 09:56 PM
Rookie

Alright lets see if this situation will work. Hopefully I can get some feedback.
Most of the shows I watch on my computer are not hd, will getting a video card that has DVI and s-video output work?

Now the other problem that was stated earlier was that the resolution would only be able to be set at one type of format. Now there is a program I noticed on my search, it was called "Ultramon", it states that you are able to change multiple resolutions.

Would this work for my situation or am I just wanting too much out of nothing?
Old January 28, 2011, 11:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
And I believe only ATI did audio through DVI to HDMI with their included adapters.
It is correct that ATI did audio over HDMI with their included adapters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
But like I said, any card that has some form of HDMI w/ audio support won't have S-Video that I'm aware of.
This is wrong. My reference design Radeon HD 3850 has an svideo port between the two DVI connectors.(and does audio over HDMI with included adapter)
Old January 28, 2011, 11:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

And my 9600GT, 8800GS, and 4850 had a S-Video port between the DVI connectors.

-Plato
Old January 29, 2011, 10:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Haha, I thought s-video died a long time ago. I guess not then.