Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 24, 2011, 02:53 PM
Top Prospect

Default What's the best aftermarket air cooler for evga GTX 480? Also comment on my OC/temps?

I've been looking at getting an aftermarket cooler for my evga 480.

Currently, my 480 is at 820 core, 2180 memory and at 1.138. It idles at 51c. Is this pretty much the max overclocks a 480 can get? What are some other speeds the 480 got to?

However, furmark at full load went up to 102c. Way too high? What's the 480's max safe temp?

I think I want to get a third party air cooler now. What do you guys think? I'm pretty sure in real life situations, it will never go up to 102c, but I think an aftermarket cooler is a good idea.

Which one is currently the "best" solution? I WOULD like an all-in-one solution that comes with both the heatsink/fan, and not a passive cooler where I need to buy another fan.

edit: looks like I'm getting AC's accelero xtreme plus, but NCIX nor newegg canada carries them

Last edited by oblisk; January 24, 2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old January 24, 2011, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblisk View Post
I've been looking at getting an aftermarket cooler for my evga 480.

Currently, my 480 is at 820 core, 2180 memory and at 1.138. It idles at 51c. Is this pretty much the max overclocks a 480 can get? What are some other speeds the 480 got to?

However, furmark at full load went up to 102c. Way too high? What's the 480's max safe temp?

I think I want to get a third party air cooler now. What do you guys think? I'm pretty sure in real life situations, it will never go up to 102c, but I think an aftermarket cooler is a good idea.

Which one is currently the "best" solution? I WOULD like an all-in-one solution that comes with both the heatsink/fan, and not a passive cooler where I need to buy another fan.

edit: looks like I'm getting AC's accelero xtreme plus, but NCIX nor newegg canada carries them
You might want to check the cards temp playing some games instead of running a synthetic benchmark before going to the expense and trouble of new HSFs.

My GTX480s run in the mid 80s, low 90s tops. The cards are rated for 115C.
Old January 24, 2011, 05:44 PM
Top Prospect

Yeah, I know it's not going to be "real life" but I think I might feel better with an aftermarket.

Well I think I still want the accelero or most likely the VF3000F since I can't get the AXP here in Canada.

But I've ran into another problem with these coolers taking up three ports:

Basically, right now I have no space. It can work if I move the 480 to the second pcie x16 slot, but I think on my p5b deluxe motherboard, the second x16 speed is halved or something. Not to mention worse airflow.

I see my options as replacing either the sound card or the FW800 card to a pcie x1 card... Which I am not planning of going that far. Unless someone can recommend me a above average pcie x1 sound card.

I take it no 2-slot 480 coolers exist?
Old January 24, 2011, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

best thing is to get the hi flow mounting bracket

for changing out HS is a chore and most cards screws are thread locked with sealer and may strip threads or head
Old January 24, 2011, 07:00 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
best thing is to get the hi flow mounting bracket

for changing out HS is a chore and most cards screws are thread locked with sealer and may strip threads or head
Are you serious? I think most people here are comfortable with replacing heatsinks, fans etc. And getting a high flow bracket isn't the "best" thing to do, it barely lowers temps.

I am in the process of finding a high flow bracket too though
Old January 24, 2011, 08:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1 screw on my GTX 480 turned to butter so I had to drill it out. No biggie.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 24, 2011, 09:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblisk View Post
Are you serious? I think most people here are comfortable with replacing heatsinks, fans etc. And getting a high flow bracket isn't the "best" thing to do, it barely lowers temps.

I am in the process of finding a high flow bracket too though
lost 20 degrees now runs 70 was 90 with stock bracket

if going to replace bracket while your there, repaste tim , and reuse the thremal pads if not to tasksing

for parts are very small so careful not to loose them
Old January 25, 2011, 07:12 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
lost 20 degrees now runs 70 was 90 with stock bracket

if going to replace bracket while your there, repaste tim , and reuse the thremal pads if not to tasksing

for parts are very small so careful not to loose them
-20 degress? Really? Seems a lot just for the high flow bracket, I guess I'll give it a go.

Can I buy them from anywhere else besides EVGA? I don't want to pay $10 for the thing...
Old January 25, 2011, 07:39 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I would try re-applying thermal compound first before getting an aftermarket cooler.

If you need a detailed guide on how to do this let me know :D
Old January 25, 2011, 08:19 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3.answ3r View Post
I would try re-applying thermal compound first before getting an aftermarket cooler.

If you need a detailed guide on how to do this let me know :D
I have some MX-3, but I doubt on a 480 the difference would be big. Maybe 2-3c's?