Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 21, 2011, 08:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Humm...
Vapor-X...newegg.ca got one for $269...that would be a nice card to crossfire with my XFX reference 5870!

Although I heard that Vapor-x cards don't like Crossfire for some reasons...

Anyway, i would suggest the OP to NOT put more money on 5870 (IMHO)...maybe sell the card and put the $$$+ the money saved on not buying the cooler on a HD6950....

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old January 21, 2011, 09:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Can you manually set the fan speed without overheating the card?
My ASUS Radeon 4870 is the loudest thing in my PC, so I cap its fan speed at 40%, rather than the 50-70% the default fan profile keeps it on. At 40%, while running F@H GPU, none of the temps on my GPU break 72 Celsius so it's safe on my setup.
Old January 25, 2011, 07:19 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thx frontier204 for the tip. I'll give it a try tonight when I get home. Cheers.
Old January 27, 2011, 07:21 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

For any of you interested. I took the cooler off and... this card already has a HS on the VRM, but does not have any HS on the RAM. Thus, I think my compatibility concerns may be moot!

I found this site http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...1&limitstart=4
where they installed a VF3000A on a NON-reference card. The biggy with these NON-ref cards is that the layout on the PCB can and is usually different vs. the reference cards. The incompatibility with aftermarket coolers is usually the result of the accompanying HS for VRM and/or RAM not being compatible (too large, too short, holes for screws not matching, etc.) with the different layout on the NON-ref card.

BUT... since my card already has a HS on the VRM (and I hope the height is ok to fit the VF3000A on top)... I think I will give it a try and install this cooler on the card!

I will keep you posted just in case anyone is interested.

Cheers.
Old March 6, 2011, 11:14 PM
Trial Member

Hey, im in the same boat as you. I have an XFX non-reference card and Ive been trying to find aftermarket cooling because the stock is just too loud for my taste (quieter than reference apparently though...). Have you tried your cooler on your non-ref card yet? My car has a stock heatsink on the VRM as well(at least im pretty sure, havent taken it apart yet) and I think I might order an Accelero Xtreme Plus and try to leave my stock vrm heatsink on. Update your thread please with info, Im very interested in results.
Old March 12, 2011, 06:44 AM
MVP

My System Specs

It's a bit beside the point here but just a suggestion. If you run into trouble having the heat sink stay on the VRM because most of the time the double sided tap sucks, you can use a thermal adhesive(NCIX is selling it). That's what I did with my old 8800 GT and it works well. One thing though, make sure that what you want it glued, you want it glued because thermal adhesive is pretty damn strong...

Old July 5, 2011, 07:49 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Hi guys,

For any of you interested, I bought an Artic Cooling Twin Turbo Pro and installed it. Well this thing works perfectly on my non-ref 5870!!! :)

I simply took the original HS off, left the VRM HS on, and did not bother sticking the VRAM HS because this card comes without any cooling on the VRAM chips anyways (and I don
I am so satisfied... no freaking blow dryer noise anymore when playing games.... ahhhhh.

Thanks you all for your suggestions.

Cheers

Tags
5870 , arctic , compatible , sapphire , xtreme