Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2011, 01:17 AM
Allstar

Default Too early for NVSurround/Eyefinity?

Introduction - AMD 6970/6950 CFX and NVIDIA 580/570 SLI Review | [H]ard|OCP

Enjoyed this read very much.

GTX580/570 SLI & HD 6970/6950 CF on 3-display setups @ 5,760x1200. Most games were averaging between 45~55 FPS. Some games, such as Metro (what else?) demanded so much, resolution was dropped to 1050, even for GTX 580 SLI.

NV cards bottlenecked on DX11 due to limited memory capacity, leading to performance levels below that of the HD 69xxCF. Older DX version games that are more dependent on GPU power and not so much on memory capacity understandably favored the more powerful NV cards.

Conclusion: Nothing. I won't make that investment in GPUs and monitors until I get the smoothest frame rates. If last year's games can't reach 60FPS @ 1200, then the newer and more demanding ones can only perform lower.

NV needs to increase the mem on their cards and reduce their prices. AMD seems to be on the right path price/performance wise and seem like a better purchase, then again ATI drivers for eyefinity are a nightmare to deal with, primary screen moves around at its own will and some monitors go to sleep, and some profiles are non-existent for new titles. So neither option is good enough for multi displays yet.

On the bright side of things, waiting 1 year for the GTX670SLI and HD 7950CF should get us to smooth gaming @5,760x1200, waiting 2 years for GTX770SLI and HD8950CF should get us to 7680x1600. Hopefully by that time new, cheaper, more efficient display technologies will come around.

Last edited by Luay79; January 15, 2011 at 01:25 AM.
Old January 15, 2011, 07:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The thing is, your projected dates for smooth gameplay are completely dependant on PC/Graphic development remaining stagnant, which I truely hope does not happen (but likely will).

It's disappointing being completely dictated by current console tech. I've been tempted by Eyefinity, but at this current time it really isn't worth it to me either. Rather just get 1 30" for the time being.. something I plan to do in the near future.

Last edited by Vittra; January 15, 2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old January 15, 2011, 07:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Ever since switching to multi-monitor gaming i've loved it. I've been able to try out nvidia surround (2 470s) and ati eyefinity and i doubt i'll ever go back to single monitor gaming.
Old January 15, 2011, 08:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree that visuals need to catch up because there is no way in the past you could run 90% of your games maxed at 2560 x 1600 let alone higher resolutions. This is sad how laid back the graphics department of PC gaming has become.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 15, 2011, 10:01 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Ever since switching to multi-monitor gaming i've loved it. I've been able to try out nvidia surround (2 470s) and ati eyefinity and i doubt i'll ever go back to single monitor gaming.
I hear you. It's cool even on 1050, but the thing is, if I'm going to do it then I'll go the whole nine yards (in a 7 yard filed whatever that is).

While it's true that whatever you buy will be outdated next year, you can build a rig to get a little higher than 60FPS @ xxxx resolution, enjoy your games for 3 years at least and make small compromises in graphics settings as you install newer games.

At this current rate of performance, I don't think a relatively much much more expensive (est. +$1000) multi display build will last even for a year unless I tone the resolution down to 1050 as newer games come out. That alone would be a huge waste if I had bought 3 1200 displays.
Old January 15, 2011, 11:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

In all honesty until frames start getting down to the noticeable levels (around/below 30 FPS) myself i cant really tell much of the difference especially when i'm in the middle of a drive, in a firefight, etc. This need to have 60+ FPS at max resolutions to me is kinda of pointless and ridiculous as you physically can't see much past 30 FPS due to how our brains work.

I am absolutely happy with the monitors that i have as i feel anything bigger then 21.5" would really seem too big and even now at times i kinda neglect stuff on the far edge of bolth my left and right monitors. Will i be upgrading my system in the future, aka less then 3 years, of course. Do i need to, not really but i tend to be rather addicted to new hardware (maybe thats why i'm a computer engineering technologist and now studying to get my computer engineering degree and p-eng). The core of my system wont change for a few years as i will get absolutely no more benefit over a 1366 in gaming and the programming i need to do. The only thing i'll probably upgrade in say a year or so are new graphic cards because true i cant see that extra FPS but i also like staying ontop of tech when i can.
Old January 15, 2011, 11:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I've been able to try out nvidia surround (2 470s) and ati eyefinity and i doubt i'll ever go back to single monitor gaming.
but there are many thick frame monitor so you will see huge black gap between the two monitors.. :?

can you play fps? i mean do you see crosshair there?

i believe this is huge disadvantage imho
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old January 15, 2011, 11:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTA View Post
but there are many thick frame monitor so you will see huge black gap between the two monitors.. :?

Depends on how you set up your monitors as well as how you do bezel compensation. For me i have it set up that the space between the two monitors is actual space. This means when i am viewing things i have the small gap, say like if you were to wear glasses and where the frames would block your eyes, you know whats on either side still.

Oh i play FPSs, havent played much yet however i have no issues seeing the crosshair at all as its still in the primary (centre) monitor.

Will be making a new sticky thread about eyefinity/surround set up/questions shortly.
Old January 15, 2011, 12:21 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTA View Post

Do you drive a car? The 'black gap' is like a car's A-Pillars in front of your windshield. After a few minutes, you forget they're there.
Old January 15, 2011, 01:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

really glass will not show up the frame?

yeah if i were talking about two monitor... [and please create the thread... thanks]

dokk... honestly it does noticable for me...
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.