Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2011, 07:17 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default MSI Twin Frozr GTX500 series...

Nice little tidbit I read at tech power up's website.

MSI Announces New N500GTX Twin Frozr II Series Graphics Cards | techPowerUp

Apparently the Twin Frozr II versions for Nvidia's GTX 500 series is being released now

I don't know about anyone else, but typically I've been using EVGA products, and had been pondering some aftermarket cooling solutions (air, not water).

This might be a neat little alternative to installing a vrm & gpu cooler.

Anyone with experience using their Twin Frozr II's able to chime in with good things, or negative things to say about their product lines?

edit: basically put, I want to find out if it is all just marketing jive, or is there really some solid credibility to this type of thermal design?
I mean come on, anything would be better than reference card designs right? even throwing a 120mm fan in front would drop temperatures I'm sure
Old January 14, 2011, 07:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Great cooler for a single card however once you start going sli or tri-sli all the heat it dumps into a normal case can sometimes cause the cards to heat up more (my case with sli 470s in the cm690). Seeing as these cards run a lot cooler then their 4xx counterparts, i could see these been rather useful provided you have good air flow to dump the hot air out of the case.
Old January 14, 2011, 07:25 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Great cooler for a single card however once you start going sli or tri-sli all the heat it dumps into a normal case can sometimes cause the cards to heat up more (my case with sli 470s in the cm690). Seeing as these cards run a lot cooler then their 4xx counterparts, i could see these been rather useful provided you have good air flow to dump the hot air out of the case.
Ooh thanks for the info Arinoth.
I was curious about the open design, and whether the heat would just disperse into the case.
I typically run sli, and worry about excess heat warming the case up like an oven.
(for example, my cards were running into the 90+ degree range previous to some adjustments in airflow in the case, along with a reinstallation of drivers, and a new TIM job on the heatsink)

Definitely food for thought! Thanks!
Old January 14, 2011, 09:46 AM
Banned
F@H

even with one card, you want most of the heat going directly out.

love my ac coolers, but not much hot air goes where it should when using them on me gpu's
Old January 14, 2011, 11:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Even if I'm in love with my 460 cooler ( twin frozr ) I do agree that it need a good airflow for being really efficient while going sli. There is a easy way to do it. If there are hole on the side of your expension slot, add more intake than exhaust. Pressure will get rid of the heat that way.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||