Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2011, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Just ordered two 580s. SLI? OK?

Hi all, I ordered two gtx 580s from Dell Alienware yesterday and forgot to ask about the SLI Bridge. I know the one I have on two 480s will work with older cards but will it work on the new 580s? Anyone have any hints on drivers and configuration for SLI gaming? Are they really a plug and play or do they need some kind of tweaking? All and ANY information from users is much appreciated. There was no sense in asking the Dell rep any of these questions as they really don't know a damn thing. Period. Thank you all very much.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old January 12, 2011, 08:44 AM

My System Specs

All SLI bridges are exactly the same, so yes it will be fine.
Old January 12, 2011, 11:06 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I do a bit of tweaking when I start a new game. I'll test the framerate with sli on and off to see the difference. Sometimes there is none and then I'll go into the nVidia control panel and under the 3d settings change the SLI mode from auto to "force alternate frame rendering mode 1" or "force alternate frame rendering mode 2" and test those.
Old January 12, 2011, 12:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
I do a bit of tweaking when I start a new game. I'll test the framerate with sli on and off to see the difference. Sometimes there is none and then I'll go into the nVidia control panel and under the 3d settings change the SLI mode from auto to "force alternate frame rendering mode 1" or "force alternate frame rendering mode 2" and test those.
I guess the 580s are about the same as my 480 GTXs as far as tweaking etc. I thought maybe the 580s had different features or options. Thanks for your response.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old January 12, 2011, 12:32 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Im curious why you bought through dell/alienware? did they have a unreal deal?
Old January 12, 2011, 03:19 PM
Banned
F@H

if its long enough? why not.
Old January 12, 2011, 04:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandL View Post
Im curious why you bought through dell/alienware? did they have a unreal deal?
NCIX and a few others had the 580s on back order. I called Alienware support as I know the techs can sell hardware etc. and sure enough they just got some in for their own systems. As of right now,you can't get Nvidia in Alienware rigs. Dell is just now getting ready to configure Alienware with the 580s. I saved a bit over $100.00 as well by calling Dell. I have been buying Dell products for the last ten years and the best thing about them is,when you need hardware replacement,they ALWAYS upgrade. Provided you still have warranty of course.
Old January 12, 2011, 05:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I forgot to mention that I called Alienware Canada at first and was told that no 580s were in stock and would only be available if I bought a computer with the cards in it. I called Alienware U.S. support just for the hell of it. They were not allowed to service Canadian rigs but I gave them my service tag to confirm I was an Alienware owner and BINGO. The Alienware techs were more than happy to get me my 580s. Another benefit to calling the U.S. is that you talk to someone who speaks perfect english. Any Alienware owners reading this should know that even if you bought your rig in Canada,you can get a lot more satisfaction by calling the Americans. Too bad, but that's the way it is.
Old January 12, 2011, 05:37 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
I forgot to mention that I called Alienware Canada at first and was told that no 580s were in stock and would only be available if I bought a computer with the cards in it. I called Alienware U.S. support just for the hell of it. They were not allowed to service Canadian rigs but I gave them my service tag to confirm I was an Alienware owner and BINGO. The Alienware techs were more than happy to get me my 580s. Another benefit to calling the U.S. is that you talk to someone who speaks perfect english. Any Alienware owners reading this should know that even if you bought your rig in Canada,you can get a lot more satisfaction by calling the Americans. Too bad, but that's the way it is.
where are the cards shipping from and what are the details? :)
Old January 12, 2011, 09:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

.....how much did you pay?,,,what brand?...what warranty?

Newegg.ca has Evga 580's for sale regularly ....gotta check for stock...$525 AR Lifetime....no duties,,,,,525 + HST + $10 Shipping...