Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2011, 02:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Dual Monitor on SandyBridge?

Ok wasn't sure if I should go here or the CPU category but since this is more about the integrated GPU, I figured here would be best.

Now on to my question, since the integrated is now obviously powerful enough does anyone know if it is possible to set up dual monitor with just the on chip GPU? This is not something I will be doing for myself but I am involved with the decision of many PCs at work and I am trying to figure out what is the best route to go with these new machines. I can tell you it would be great to not have to worry about another card for these machines. It would drop costs and make it easier for people on their choices.

So will I still have to get another card to get dual monitor or not? I suspect not but am unsure. Any input greatly appreciated.

Old January 9, 2011, 03:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It should work, according to Intel all the IGPs on their recent CPUs are dual display capable.
Old January 9, 2011, 03:35 AM
Banned
F@H

how you connect them, that's the real question in this :)

use a splitter cable? dont think its that simple,though
Old January 9, 2011, 04:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
how you connect them, that's the real question in this :)

use a splitter cable? dont think its that simple,though
Yea that is kind of what I was thinking as well. If there was a board with dual dvi or something then it would be great but I haven't seen one.

Old January 9, 2011, 07:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you have to use the dvi + hdmi on the h67 series it worked fine when i tested it on on i3 530 +h55 chipset . Intel® H55 Express Chipset - Overview
Old January 9, 2011, 01:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
you have to use the dvi + hdmi on the h67 series it worked fine when i tested it on on i3 530 +h55 chipset . Intel® H55 Express Chipset - Overview
Sweet. Can you use a converter to go from HDMI to DVI? Also any idea of using the VGA and DVI at the same time? Thing is most people here at work will just keep their existing monitors and most of them don't have HDMI.

Thanks for the input so far.

Old January 10, 2011, 11:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So does anyone know of a board that I can use say VGA & DVI at the same time? Or DVI and HDMI using a HDMI to DVI cable? Or Displayport to DVI/VGA?

Basically I need to know if I'm going to have to get video card or if I can be certain I will be able to use dual monitor no matter the cable situation. Anyone have one they can test with?

I was looking at this board:

NCIX.com - Buy ASUS P8H67-M Evo mATX P67 LGA1155 2PCI-E16 PCI-E1 PCI Display Port HDMI Sandy Bridge Motherboard - P8H67-M EVO In Canada.

You think it would work? Also one other question I just thought of, these onboard GPU's should have support for rotating monitors correct?

Thanks again for all the help.

edit: Looks like it is technically possible according to Intel. Now to find out if it actually works in the wild.

Last edited by ipaine; January 10, 2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old January 10, 2011, 12:00 PM
Top Prospect

Well, looking at the backpanel ports and the specs:

- Multi-VGA output support: DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI-D, RGB port

I think it should work even if you don't add a graphics card. Could be wrong though...do you have any spare extras?
Old January 10, 2011, 12:16 PM
Top Prospect

I know that I can run VGA & DVI at the same time on the Q965 chipset for LGA775, so I can't see why the H67 wouldn't since it states it can do so.

Having said that, my monitors were both Dell 17in 1280x1024 monitors and I could only have 1 at native res & the other at 800x600 res, the native through DVI & the other on VGA. So with the improved graphics on SB you should be able to do better than that in resolution.

Good luck mate
Old January 10, 2011, 01:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I was under the impression that the H67 mobo's were the ones utilizing the onboard gpu, and that the P67 disabled them?

I could be completely wrong, just wanted to mention that's what I heard.