Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8, 2011, 12:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Are all mini-display port to hdmi adapters active?

Ok, so i've been googling like mad, and couldn't find anything. Hopefully someone here can help, like always, LoL.

My HD6870 eyefinity setup that currently works fine:
1 dvi monitor to the dvi port
1 dvi monitor using an active mini-display port adapter
1 vga monitor using a vga-to-dvi adapter

I have a fourth display using hdmi, that i want to extend my desktop to (so, 3 grouped displays for eyefinity + 1 extended display). I plugged it into the hdmi port, can't enable it.

My questions are:
1. I probably need an hdmi to mini-display port adapter, right?
2. Will any hdmi to mini-display port adapter work, or do they have to be active adapters?

I can only find some adapters @ NCIX. But they don't say active or passive, so I assume they're all active and I would be able to extend my desktop to the hdmi display, would that be correct?
Old January 9, 2011, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not all display port adapters are active.

Check out this website for more info. AMD Eyefinity Validated Dongles

• A maximum of 2 legacy monitors (VGA, DVI or HDMI) can be enabled simultaneously, provided that each monitor is connected either directly or via a “passive” DisplayPort™ adapter/dongle. “Passive” adapters/dongles will NOT support more than 2 legacy monitors.
• To enable support for more than 2 monitors, “active” DisplayPort™ adapters/dongles are required (or monitors with direct DisplayPort™ connectivity must be used).

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."

Last edited by belgolas; January 9, 2011 at 01:48 PM.