Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   I was thinking of upgrading my HD 5850 to a HD 6950 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/39666-i-thinking-upgrading-my-hd-5850-hd-6950-a.html)

ern88 January 7, 2011 12:53 AM

I was thinking of upgrading my HD 5850 to a HD 6950
 
Hey guys,

This is my first post on HC. Well, I was think on getting rid of my Sapphire HD 5850 and going to a HD 6950 2 gig card. Play at 1650 x 1050 res. But after reading reviews and benchmarks. I don't think it justifies me selling my 5850. I am going to upgrade to the i7 2600K in the near future. I currently have:

ASUS P5K-E, Intel E8400 Dual core O/C 3.6 ghz. Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 5850. Creative X-FI gamer, 4 gigs ddr2 ram, 500 gig HD. ANTEC Gamer 900 tower. Windows 7 Pro. 610 silencer PSU.

_dangtx_ January 7, 2011 01:07 AM

welcome aboard dude.

well, check this out : HIS Radeon HD 6950 2 GB Review - Page 29/33 | techPowerUp

i would rather get a nice 24 inch lcd first, see whats what later. thats your one weakness right now. of course your 5850 wont do the same frames at 1920x1080/1200 but its a start

you may want to look at the 2500k too.

depending on your upgrade budget, you could keep somethings like the psu,dvd,etc.


edit : check some higher resolution benches : Intel Unveils Sandy Bridge: Core i7 2600K, i5 2500K, i5 2400, i3 2100 CPUs - Left 4 Dead 2 - Legit Reviews

ern88 January 7, 2011 01:32 AM

Thanks for some insight _dangtx_. I think I will keep my HD 5850. Maybe when I get a new monitor. I will just pick up another HD 5850 and xfire it. I think that would be a good option as well

Rescue119 January 14, 2011 07:36 PM

thats what i am gonna do down the road........the 5850 is good bang for the buck

Stock January 14, 2011 10:15 PM

Unless you sell your 5850 for ~$200 and put that money towards purchasing the 6950, it's not worth it. :)

The upgrade from an E8400 to i7-2600k on the other hand...do it! :punk:

EdHilario January 15, 2011 10:25 AM

I'd go with the 6970 if you can find it cheap enough and sell the 5850. You can probably recover 1/2 - 3/5 of your money back during that upgrade. Otherwise, I'd skip a generation or wait for the dual GPU platform :)

Arinoth January 15, 2011 11:52 AM

Unless you'll be doing something that benefits from 8 threads, as in folding, you'd be better off going with a 2500k.

ern88 January 15, 2011 02:59 PM

Ya, I'm going to hold of till the the AMD 7XXX series cards come out next year. Whatever they will improve on then. Maybe even see what Nvidia is offering up.

Delavan January 16, 2011 09:26 AM

I was in the same boat with my HD5870 running at 1680 X 1050...

The 6950 looks nice and all, and does a little better at "min FPS". also, it has better tesselation performance....BUT, the 5870 is still a nice card (ans so is the 5850)....

As stated above, go 1080P or better RES. first...then grab a 6970, GTX570 or whatever (WORTHY of a real upgrade from your 5850)...

The future's bright: Price will drop a little on 6970, on GTX570, the GTX560 will come out (read SLI), the dual GPU 6990 and "possible" dual Fermi GF110 card...

Crossfire scaling on 69** is great...so is GTX5** cards....

The first step is BETTER RESOLUTION, then more power...

lowfat January 16, 2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delavan (Post 475063)
I was in the same boat with my HD5870 running at 1680 X 1050...

The 6950 looks nice and all, and does a little better at "min FPS". also, it has better tesselation performance....BUT, the 5870 is still a nice card (ans so is the 5850)....

As stated above, go 1080P or better RES. first...then grab a 6970, GTX570 or whatever (WORTHY of a real upgrade from your 5850)...

The future's bright: Price will drop a little on 6970, on GTX570, the GTX560 will come out (read SLI), the dual GPU 6990 and "possible" dual Fermi GF110 card...

Crossfire scaling on 69** is great...so is GTX5** cards....

The first step is BETTER RESOLUTION, then more power...

Agreed. This would actually be my first suggestion before ANY hardware upgrade.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:04 PM.