Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2011, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Chiming in late but definitely sell the 285 ( 2 x 285 SLi would be a disappointment at this stage of GPU Tech) ....pick up 2 x 570.....run through a gammet of testing , gaming "fun"...pick-up the 3rd 570 later on sometime (if you indeed get the "Tri Bug" and want to give it a go)...have fun ;)

Old January 7, 2011, 10:41 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Chiming in late but definitely sell the 285 ( 2 x 285 SLi would be a disappointment at this stage of GPU Tech) ....pick up 2 x 570.....run through a gammet of testing , gaming "fun"...pick-up the 3rd 570 later on sometime (if you indeed get the "Tri Bug" and want to give it a go)...have fun ;)
Thats an extremely expensive option there rj. Not all of us have cash to waste on systems meant to show off and/or break records. This will be a secondary gaming box, and as such doesn't need to break records. It needs to be less expensive and a good SLI setup to prove its still possible.
Old January 7, 2011, 12:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hmm. You bring up that not everyone has the money to blow on systems, yet you are considering SLI or even TRI-SLI for a secondary rig just to "try it again" in your words. Which is it? Other than picking up 460s (which is probably your best bet!), the option he presents you is really the only valid one other than 470s when you find them on sale for dirt cheap... grabbing a couple more 285s just doesn't seem like the best way to spend your money at this point.

Old January 7, 2011, 01:01 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
Hmm. You bring up that not everyone has the money to blow on systems, yet you are considering SLI or even TRI-SLI for a secondary rig just to "try it again" in your words. Which is it? Other than picking up 460s (which is probably your best bet!), the option he presents you is really the only valid one other than 470s when you find them on sale for dirt cheap... grabbing a couple more 285s just doesn't seem like the best way to spend your money at this point.
Really? You think so?

2x GTX285s used would probably go for 250 or Less for Both. How is that "expensive" compared to:
2x 460s for $400 or more (which can only sli,not tri sli)
2x 570 for $600 or more?
Old January 7, 2011, 01:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
The CPU will be an OC'd 1055T, so im not really worried about "holding back" anything at all. My 1090T hit 4Ghz with ease, so i expect the 1055T to at least reach 3.6-3.8Ghz.

The GTX465s DO have two SLI connectors though? Interesting.

Keep in mind that I'm much more inclined to buy up someone's used tri-sli rig than get a new one from somewhere. So, anyone have some tri-sli they wanna sell? Or an Extra GTX285 2Gb or two? lol....
465s still run HOT in just SLI, i'd recommend shying away from them
Old January 7, 2011, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Thats an extremely expensive option there rj. Not all of us have cash to waste on systems meant to show off and/or break records. This will be a secondary gaming box, and as such doesn't need to break records. It needs to be less expensive and a good SLI setup to prove its still possible.
I have absolutely no idea what your Budget is my friend.....besides I certainly wouldn't suggest 2 x 570's to break any records .....

If you want to spend minimal $$$ for great performance mucking about with another build think about picking up 2 more used 285's.....probably around $200....if I remember correctly Tri SLi 280's was very fast and Scale very well

Old January 7, 2011, 01:23 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
I have absolutely no idea what your Budget is my friend.....besides I certainly wouldn't suggest 2 x 570's to break any records .....

If you want to spend minimal $$$ for great performance mucking about with another build think about picking up 2 more used 285's.....probably around $200....if I remember correctly Tri SLi 280's was very fast and Scale very well
Thats what im thinking rj, probably the best "Bang for my buck" in this case.

Now, who's got Used GTX285s? (The 2Gb model hopefully), lol.
Old January 7, 2011, 02:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ For sure Met....it is "fun" to play around with Tri SLi...painless really.
My 280's Tri SLi, although no DX11 (DX10), could get around P35K on a 920 running at 3.8 Ghz.....gaming also had great results (they were 1GB)....your 285's will be a tad better yet.....let us know how it works out ;)

Old January 7, 2011, 02:43 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I've come to realize some problems with getting tri-sli = noise and heat. I dont like either.

Might be back to the drawing board with this. I have no idea what to get now. Arg...
Old January 7, 2011, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

280/85's weren't that bad....Fan @ 80% Max Temp Crysis was around 72C (other games lower with 75% Fan), about the same as new Fermi, a lot quieter / cooler than 480 Series Fermi.....your 285's were less power consumption than 280's...(if I remember right)...
...anyhoo, you'll get her cased out what works best for you..don't let it frustrate ya...have fun with it.