Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2010, 05:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Will the audio come through this?

I was thinking of getting a low profile video card for my HTPC to help it render the larger files (20GB+) that I have and thought this might get the job done,
NCIX.com - Buy MSI GeForce GT 210 589MHZ 512MB DDR3 PCI-E VGA DVI HDMI HDCP Low Profile Video Card - N210-MD512D3H/LP In Canada.
For the price after the rebate it's damn good but my question is will the audio travel through the HDMI port? Or will I need to buy a RCA out sound card like this,
NCIX.com - Buy Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium HD PCI-E Sound Card RCA Optical IN/OUT - 70SB127000002 In Canada.

If anyone knows of a cheap card that will do what I want please suggest it, would like to order this tonight.
Old December 28, 2010, 05:42 PM

My System Specs

It might be possible to hook up an SPDIF connector from your motherboard to the soundcard. What do you have for the rest of your system?
Old December 28, 2010, 05:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
It might be possible to hook up an SPDIF connector from your motherboard to the soundcard. What do you have for the rest of your system?
880gma gigabyte with hdmi out put (was hoping audio would come through this, still think it does, I asked ncix and they said if it doesn't I can return it)
Amd 550 cpu
400watt seasonic psu
4GB DDR3 Ram
LG Blu-ray player
64gb kingston for a boot drive
6x 2TB Drives

I got a few more goodies to for it but they won't affect sound or anything, just custom fans etc. Would getting this card and the sound card make my movies sound better? I plan to hook all of this up to my current speaker set up,
NCIX.com - Buy Sony SRSDB500 2.1 300W PC Speaker System 2XMINI Stereo 1XRCA - SRSDB500 In Canada.
(my mom hates surround so 2.1 is the best I can do) which currently takes RCA output from my HDTV to it. So I was basically hoping the mobo or the GPU would push the audio through it's HDMI port but if it doesn't will the sound card be worth getting? Also will it make the sound much better do you think? Thanks for the fast reply lowfat as well man :)
Old December 28, 2010, 07:04 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Ok, found out it will push audio through it from someone on ncix. Now the question is should I get the sound card?