Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2010, 10:22 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Multiple monitors on Nvidia 4xx/5xx cards?

Anyone here running multiple monitor set-ups with the fermi cards?
I've read time and time again that a multi-monitor setup with these cards leads to bad temps since the card is always running at "max clocks" instead of staging itself down for cooler 2D operation.

Is this the case with BOTH 4xx and 5xx cards?

Just curious as I don't want to spend the money for a 2nd monitor and find that my temps end up going through the roof. Would rather spend that cash on a new single bigger monitor if it's too much of an issue.

Usage reasons: Movie/TV watching while playing games/browsing/whatever.
Old December 28, 2010, 11:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've found running EVGA precision typically forces any of the nvidia cards to run into 2d operation when not in use otherwise with msi afterburner or just nothing they wont always drop itself to 2d mode. I have that problem with one of my 2 ati cards right now and unfortunately evga precision doesnt work for ati.
Old December 28, 2010, 12:48 PM
MVP

My System Specs

the 4xx and 5xx have 3 sets of clocks in their bios 3d / 2d / idle
when you have 2 monitor they doesn't go into idle clocks, 2d sure they do

i've my memory is right on the 580(i don't have it right now) it'S 3d=777mhz 2d=450mhz idle=51mhz

temps tru the roof is bit exaggerated but of course you get muhc cooler card when using the idles clocks.
i'm running 3 monitor and nvidia doesn't allow that on one card so i brought a cheap 5450 for my second monitor and tv while the 580 was running the main display.

the "problem" is worst with the 4XX since they output more heat than their revisions the 5XX
Old December 28, 2010, 03:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Just bump your Fan Speed up to 55% (instead of Auto) and that will control your idle temps fine with 3D Clock speeds and multi monitors....that is correct, multi monitors + Fermi = non-functioning down-clocking

Old January 3, 2011, 02:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

mkultra, have you run into any weird problems doing that with your video cards?

I ask because at some point in time I'll be going water-cooled SLI with my two 580's, and would hate to have annoying issues crop up, as SLI already kind of puts weird issues into play.

Sounds like the perfect solution to my issue though.

If I run say, a 6850 then that would be enough to decode 1080 video files and still leave the 580's to game on the main monitor.

Hmmmm, poor wallet, time to break you again.
Old January 3, 2011, 02:28 PM
MVP

My System Specs

i'm not sure what you mean by "doing that"

video decoding is 90% CPU unless you use dxva(even than more cpu than gpu)

no problem with running a nvidia and an ati GPU, just install only 1 "control panel". what i did is install nvidia drivers normally, then unpack the ati driver by starting the setup then cancelled it. Install drivers only by going through windows hardware config.
Old January 3, 2011, 02:34 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Perfect, I'll have to give that a try!

That's for your help and ideas!