Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2010, 02:05 AM
Allstar

Default Not Enough Competition In The Hardware Market

The Players: Nvidia and AMD are in good shape with so many products available, but far from the best shape possible. I love the GTX 5xx and HD 69xx, but I don't need another 50 fps on 1080P, the only ticket I can afford, and I don't like the high power consumption. They stuck with their chips the moment they knew neither of them wasn't upgrading, as players would lose motivation to train if their competitors did the same.

The ball: The games are technologically limited and not fun. Why does BlackOps look the same on the ancient PS3?Software Companies are not taking advantage of the most powerful technology available on a consumer level. AMD and Nvidia should put time into helping software development rather than release new boards. More game = more hardware. It is as lame as watching a deflated basketball game.

The Field: 30" 1600 resolution Displays need to drop in pricing! There is some movement to level it up thanks to Hazro, but still not enough for hardcore gaming because of the 14ms input lag.
Hazro Ultra-Sharp HZ30Wi 30" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black [HZ30Wi]
Can you see the scam Dell and HP were pulling behind the scene to keep prices up?
Old December 28, 2010, 02:32 AM
Banned
F@H

if they dont push game/soft co's they'll lose to the consoles. sure they can make gpus for consoles and make a buck, but why lose a decent portion of the pie?

maybe. if a 24 inch lcd is 250, why the frog a 30 inch is 1500? dont think it cost that many times more to make does it?
Old December 28, 2010, 03:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
The Players: Nvidia and AMD are in good shape with so many products available, but far from the best shape possible. I love the GTX 5xx and HD 69xx, but I don't need another 50 fps on 1080P, the only ticket I can afford, and I don't like the high power consumption. They stuck with their chips the moment they knew neither of them wasn't upgrading, as players would lose motivation to train if their competitors did the same.

The ball: The games are technologically limited and not fun. Why does BlackOps look the same on the ancient PS3?Software Companies are not taking advantage of the most powerful technology available on a consumer level. AMD and Nvidia should put time into helping software development rather than release new boards. More game = more hardware. It is as lame as watching a deflated basketball game.

The Field: 30" 1600 resolution Displays need to drop in pricing! There is some movement to level it up thanks to Hazro, but still not enough for hardcore gaming because of the 14ms input lag.
Hazro Ultra-Sharp HZ30Wi 30" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black [HZ30Wi]
Can you see the scam Dell and HP were pulling behind the scene to keep prices up?
Well in the case of Black Ops, it's all about quick easy money for the creator. Why make a new engine when we can reuse the sameone and reskin a game 10 times? I agree it would be great if companies were to use newer engines more frequently, but half the problem with that is the popularity of consoles taking away the drive in numbers behind PC gaming. Sadly :(
Old December 28, 2010, 05:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Developers want to make money on games. They won't push PC-only titles anymore...not profitable enough...PC games will go as far as console games will go...

When PS4 and XBOX360-replacement will be out (running DX11 features), with better graphics and new features, PC games will reflect that...

Quote:
if they dont push game/soft co's they'll lose to the consoles. sure they can make gpus for consoles and make a buck, but why lose a decent portion of the pie?
Dan, which slice of the pie are they missing? AMD and Intel still have to work on producing better professional graphics cards for the industry (Quadro,Firepro). They also produce the graphics chips the consoles are made off...monopoly...one way of the other, we're screwed.

The worst part is that AMD and nVIDIA are pushing a LOT on 3D gaming, and dual-card solutions...at the same time, we don't have the applications to push those setups...

PC gamers are a few steps ahead, ginea pigs of the new tech and all, but in reference with the $$$ we put into our gaming rigs, we're treated like poop...

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old December 28, 2010, 06:54 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
monopoly...one way of the other, we're screwed. PC gamers are ginea pigs of the new tech and all, but in reference with the $$$ we put into our gaming rigs, we're treated like poop...
Like toilette. They be pooping on us.

Nvidia should have released the 5xx series as the 4xx series and skipped the current rushed 4xx series. Then we might have had the current 5xx series earlier.

AMD should have saved their efforts and released the new 28nm chips earlier as well, but wasted time with the current rushed 69xx series.
Old December 28, 2010, 07:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
Why does BlackOps look the same on the ancient PS3??
It looks night and day to me.

With that said BlackOps graphics are hardly better than COD2....
Old December 28, 2010, 08:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
maybe. if a 24 inch lcd is 250, why the frog a 30 inch is 1500? dont think it cost that many times more to make does it?
I know its frustrating as hell. Thats why I haven't bought another 30" monitor after my last one died. Way to expensive. I mean I could get 3 24" monitors for much cheaper. OR hell even 3 23" 3D monitors for cheaper. 30" monitors should drop down to $500 than it would be reasonable.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old December 28, 2010, 09:26 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Isn't 30" pretty big? I mean I couldn't ever imagine myself sitting infront of my 32" tv and do my daily computer ramblings...That would be just way to big.
Old December 28, 2010, 09:37 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well the advantage the PC have right now and console are so old right now that you can render the game at 2560x1600... or at 1080p with AF and 8XAA

Right now most console games are at 960x540 some a little higher but that's rare (even rarer on PS3)

If they were PC centric.. it would run a 40fps with a SLI 580 at 1280x720 :) using all the possible features off course ;) and people would still complain that X game is not OPTIMIZED blah blah blah blah.. typical frustrated pc gamer blah! :)
Old December 28, 2010, 10:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Isn't 30" pretty big? I mean I couldn't ever imagine myself sitting infront of my 32" tv and do my daily computer ramblings...That would be just way to big.
I was under that same assumption for quite awhile, now that I have a 27" 2560 x 1440 I cannot believe how much nicer it is than my old 24" 1920 x 1200. With that aid, the additional 30" 2560 x 1600 would also be great, but the price difference between Dell 27" and 30" is far to great ....$750 vs $1400.....

Honestly though, for extreme gaming graphics and provided your System is up to it, 27 - 30" Gaming is awesome! My son has both XBox 360 and PS3 running on a 32" TV (1080) and he is "wowed" when he sees the same games running on my PC / Dell 27".