Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2010, 09:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Regarding 30" monitor prices, the reason they cost more is because they use IPS panels which offer superior colour reproduction and viewing angles. They don't use the garbage TN panels that your $250 24" does.

Also, IPS panels, especially 30" ones with 2560x1600 resolution, are not mass produced either, thus driving up prices even more.

Theoretically, you could take a 1080p 32" panel from a TV and market it as a monitor, but since computer users sit relatively close to the screen, the pixel pitch would be far from ideal thus making it look grainy/pixelated.

At the end of the day though, game companies look at profit. They know nearly every household has a PS3/XBOX360/Wii, and they can charge $50-70 per game without worrying too much about piracy. This allows them to better estimate their profits, and with only 1-3 different hardware configurations to develop for, is much cheaper to do. PC games require far more development to make it work across a variety of hardware and most people don't even have a PC that could run games.

I love PC gaming as much as all of you, but the future looks bleak. I stand by the fact that FPS and RTS is only playable with a keyboard and mouse though.
Old December 28, 2010, 10:24 AM
Banned
F@H

was talking about the piece they would lose if they exited the desktop market :)
Old December 28, 2010, 10:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I stand by the fact that FPS and RTS is only playable with a keyboard and mouse though.
^^^ I'm absolutely hopeless with a Game Pad Controller in my hand.....keyboard / mouse is the only way I can play ;)
Old December 28, 2010, 11:48 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu
Isn't 30" pretty big? I mean I couldn't ever imagine myself sitting infront of my 32" tv and do my daily computer ramblings...That would be just way to big.
Count the pixels, 1920x1080 compared to 2560x1600 and you will see that you're not seeing the same display on a bigger screen, rather more space to work with. As for games, just try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD
Regarding 30" monitor prices, the reason they cost more is because they use IPS panels which offer superior colour reproduction and viewing angles.
All 30"ers have input lags, somewhere between 28 to 14 ms, compared to 2 ms in more affordable 24"ers. They are not the best for gaming.
Old December 28, 2010, 11:56 AM
Banned
F@H

right on. i have a bud who's still using his 20 incher, showed him my 24,27 and he's putting money aside for an upgrade now. you cant compare.
Old December 28, 2010, 12:32 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Also, PC gamers aren't idiots and research their products. They demand high quality stuff, consolers are just brain dead zombies who'll spend $150 on a HDMI cable and a $3000 on a "superior LED" TV - which is just a LCD TV with LED back lighting for three times the price. If I was in marketing I'd never consider catering to PC enthusiasts. Console = more consumers, and less educated consumers. PC = higher paying consumers, but educated and more demanding = tiny profit margin. Plus theres a lot less of them.
Old December 28, 2010, 06:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
All 30"ers have input lags, somewhere between 28 to 14 ms, compared to 2 ms in more affordable 24"ers. They are not the best for gaming.
And do you honestly see this? Have you used a 30" with input lag?

The U2711 that I have is claimed to have similar input lag but I don't notice it at all. I do notice the stunning colour reproduction and amazing resolution though compared to my previous 27" TN LCD
Old December 28, 2010, 06:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
And do you honestly see this? Have you used a 30" with input lag?

The U2711 that I have is claimed to have similar input lag but I don't notice it at all. I do notice the stunning colour reproduction and amazing resolution though compared to my previous 27" TN LCD
Agreed!... I do not notice any input lag on my Dell u2410 vs my older 22" TN... can't agree more with the colour reproduction.. everything looks more stunning...
Old December 28, 2010, 06:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

i'd take the input lag of an IPS panel over crappy color/viewing angle of a TN panel ahahaha
Old December 28, 2010, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkultra View Post
i'd take the input lag of an IPS panel over crappy color/viewing angle of a TN panel ahahaha
Yep... I'm using an IPS panel also (mind you not a 30" panel) which had rumored input lag.... and during FPS games I notice non of this crap. Only wicked viewing angles, super bright whites, and vivid color!

TN panels suck.