Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9, 2010, 06:53 PM
Rookie

Default How does EVGA step up work for us Canadians?

Hi, I'm currently on the list to step up my gtx 480 to a gtx 580. (500 or so in line). Now, I see a lot of people here on the forums doing the step up. So whats involved in the process?

Do I need special packaging? (I still have the original boxes and accessories)
What shipping method do you guys use? (I'm in Winnipeg)
Also, what do I have to do to avoid paying customs duties at the border?

Thanks for any responses, I've gotten some conflicting messages about this from the evga forums....
EVGA GTX 480
Western Digital SATA III 1 TB Black
Corsair 750w TX
Haf 922 loaded with fans
Old December 9, 2010, 07:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have done one in the past and am in line to get the 580.

Question 1: Special packaging no, just put everything in its original box and then put that into a normal box and just stuff some paper in there to make it not move around.

Question 2: Last time I just used Canada Post Priority

Question 3: No worries about that, they ship the card as a RMA so you should not have any duties to worry about.

Old December 9, 2010, 10:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I once used the Step Up program, EVGA shipped the "replacement"/New card to me with FedEX... they delivered the package and then sent a customs invoice in the mail. I called them twice telling them (and faxing them) that I received the card as a replacement. Time passed and I receive yet another invoice which threw in the garbage and have never heard from them since.

Point is that for me it could have been a smoother process!
Old December 9, 2010, 11:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How long ago was that? I know that in the past there was an issue with duties but have since shipped the cards clearly labeled as RMA.

Old December 10, 2010, 08:22 PM
Rookie

I am thinking of stepping up to the 570 too... I have 52 days to step up from a 470. How long does it usually take after I ship the old card and get the new card? Days, weeks?
Old December 10, 2010, 08:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you don't spend the extra cash for priority shipment, you're probably looking at about 3 weeks turnaround, ie 10 days down, 10 days back. And when I stepped up to my GTX285 last year, I had no issues with customs or brokerage. Just make sure you insure your package when you send it down.
Old December 10, 2010, 09:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Question 1: Special packaging no, just put everything in its original box and then put that into a normal box and just stuff some paper in there to make it not move around.

Question 2: Last time I just used Canada Post Priority

Question 3: No worries about that, they ship the card as a RMA so you should not have any duties to worry about.
+1 +1 +1
Stepped up my Mobo a few yrs ago....it is shipped as an RMA (no duties / customs fees), Evga will email you a RMA Address label (Brea, Cal) which you affix to your package for shipment south. Shipping method is your personal choice which you will be responsible for paying for. You'll also be responsible for payment of shipping the new Card from Brea, Cal to you...$30 International Shipping.
When I did it, I used UPS, but that is entirely your call.

When you reach the "front of line:
1. You'll be notified via email from Evga
2. You'll pay the step-up cost + $30 Int Shipping Fee ( US Currency) and it will be the difference between the price you paid for your 480 (before taxes) and the new 580 (Evga price) - all converted to USD.
3. Evga will email you an RMA Label to affix to your package, print it out (PDF file).
4. Ship your Card (check your queue and it will state "awaiting your Card for processing"
5. When they receive it, your queue will reflect "Card Received".
6. They will then ship your new Card (Queue will state "Car Shipped" and you'll also get a Tracking Number)

Took me about 10 business days...Van Isle to Brea, Cal

..........and thats about it...btw..enjoy your new Card ;)

Old December 11, 2010, 01:04 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it's a pretty reliable process, so I 'll go through with it. Can I just ship the old card back with the original box, or will I need extra packing though?
EVGA GTX 480
Western Digital SATA III 1 TB Black
Corsair 750w TX
Haf 922 loaded with fans
Old December 11, 2010, 02:41 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

I stepped up a 6800GT to a 7900GT back in the day. Was charged customs fees and never got them back. Most people don't get charged though. Just ask them to make sure they clearly state it on the box.
Old December 11, 2010, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I stepped up a 6800GT to a 7900GT back in the day. Was charged customs fees and never got them back. Most people don't get charged though. Just ask them to make sure they clearly state it on the box.
^^^ Irrelevant as that was at least 5-6 yrs ago....(when I had a 6800 GT AGP)

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it's a pretty reliable process, so I 'll go through with it. Can I just ship the old card back with the original box, or will I need extra packing though?
Put your old Cards back in their original Evga boxes, then pack those in a shipping box with proper packaging (bubble wrap, newspaper etc) and affix the RMA Label to the outside...