Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8, 2010, 11:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I just installed my koolance 580 waterblock and it's waiting for my waterloop to get finished. Can't wait to see the results and of course overclock.
Old December 9, 2010, 12:05 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Well I'm at my highest stable core clock, 928 MHz with 57C load temp @1.138 volts. Not as good as many others out there, but still pretty good, 20% overclock is never bad. Tomorrow I'll work on the RAM...
Old December 9, 2010, 12:26 AM
Banned
F@H

cool. you can give it more juice you know? :) with that cooling

ASUS GeForce GTX 580 1.5 GB Review - Page 30/31 | techPowerUp stock cooler juice/temp limited
Old December 9, 2010, 07:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Daz needs to get his 580 blocks back in, the fan noise on my 580 is driving me nuts!

I cant deal with fans any more now that Ive been on water for a couple years :( My 3 x poo-poos dont produce an eighth of what this 580 does!
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 9, 2010, 11:39 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
cool. you can give it more juice you know? :) with that cooling

ASUS GeForce GTX 580 1.5 GB Review - Page 30/31 | techPowerUp stock cooler juice/temp limited
They say ASUS smart doctor allows up to 1.21 volts. I'm using nvidiainspector and it only goes to 1.138. However, now that I think of it, there's a button to unlock max, maybe that will let me up the voltage some more... Or could I use smart doctor, does is work on all reference cards?
Old December 9, 2010, 11:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I am not sure about Asus smart Doctor, but my EVGA cards works well with Msi's version.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old December 9, 2010, 02:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

The max unlock was only for clock speeds... And I'm gonna stay away from afterburner I think, the programmer and MSI are having major issues and fighting, and the programmer is a real dick. He routinely claims that any bugs, problems or errors with the program are actually because people don't know how to use it (sometimes the case, usually not), and when it turns out there was really a mistake he made, he blames it on MSI for screwing with the program. Plus, after people repeatedly mentioned that the voltage changes couldn't be detected using beta 4( the one that supports gtx 580), he said don't use it unless you know what you're doing because it is messed up and doesn't change voltages by software, it does it at the controller and is only reset by a cold boot. Not gonna play with $650 of hardware with something like that.

Any other options?
Old December 9, 2010, 06:34 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well, Smartdoctor apparently only works with ASUS cards, or at least cards with the ASUS BIOS... And that also explains the higher volt limit. I found out that voltage limits are defined in the BIOS, so even if I used afterburner or another program I'd still be stuck with the 1.138 limit. Seems like the only other option I have is to flash the ASUS BIOS to my MSI card... Never done this before, not sure where I'd find the file or what program to use either. Doesn't matter much anyway, I'm pretty happy with 928 MHz!
Old December 9, 2010, 07:37 PM
MVP

That must be great for power consumption.
Old December 9, 2010, 08:56 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
That must be great for power consumption.
Well, a good 80% of the time the core is running at 50 MHz, so it's not bad actually