Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7, 2010, 07:51 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

If you want PROFESSIONALISM along with a cookie cutter review, I will happily direct you to the appropriate sites. If you want HONESTY, stick around.
Old December 7, 2010, 07:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

yeah, it is a nice card. But, it matches the older generation. I think one could wait for something that goes beyong. Don't get me wrong, this is a nice card, but not upgrade materia if you have a GTX 470 - 480.

Anyway, Nvidia answered the critics about power usage and gave some competition to the red team. All is good, now let the price war begins.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old December 7, 2010, 07:54 AM
Top Prospect

sound like a great card to me,
hopefully AMD comes out with some matching the performance/price

great review btw thanks sky
Old December 7, 2010, 07:55 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Wow I like how this performs, I think I'm going to get two of these.
Old December 7, 2010, 07:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Sky, I did not want to upset you, my comment was about the term utilised, not about your honesty.

Lets take an example, I find the term "thermonuclear bomb going off" a bit to colorful. Maybe stating that the pricing and performance makes it a a GPU with no real competiton from the red team would be more appropriate than "thermonuclear bomb going off". That is all.

I suppose this is personnal, I like your reviews, I read them and always come to HWC when looking at new GPUS. I sometime find that you go to much overboard, but this is writing style I suppose.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old December 7, 2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
yeah, it is a nice card. But, it matches the older generation. I think one could wait for something that goes beyong. Don't get me wrong, this is a nice card, but not upgrade materia if you have a GTX 470 - 480.
It's a $350 card. How would you expect it to "go beyond"? Beyond what? This is in NO WAY meant as upgrade material for a GTX 480. This is meant for people that bought a GTX 470 or even an early-life HD 5850.

It is VERY important to remember that people who bought a $300 - $350 card nearly a year ago will likely be looking for a card in that similar price range when upgrading. Hence why going from a GTX 470 to a GTX 570 will net you a good 30% performance increase. To me, that's some serious progress in LESS than a year. Thermonuclear progress actually.
Old December 7, 2010, 08:08 AM
Rookie

Great Review, thinking of picking up maybe a couple of these when I can. My 260 just died, and I plan on updating my build this looks like what I'm gonna pick up!
Old December 7, 2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
I suppose this is personnal, I like your reviews, I read them and always come to HWC when looking at new GPUS. I sometime find that you go to much overboard, but this is writing style I suppose.
I know and I understand. However, I'd rather add some style and "flare" to the writing style here rather than stick to the bland lack of style that many other sites use.

Some may not find it professional but in all reality, I'd rather keep things a bit fun and different rather than boring myself to death.

In this industry, I find too many editors and writers have lost one thing: passion. Receiving a brand new piece of hardware doesn't excite them anymore; it's all about getting out the article for pageviews and in essence ad money. This shows in their writing style (or lack thereof).

On the other hand, I have always taken this site as a bit of a hobby rather than a money-making affair. I have absolute loyalty to it and seeing it into the future but I don't EVER want to loose sight of the goals: keeping my passion for hardware and writing while delivering honest reviews. I would rather this excitement sometimes bleed through to the review rather than letting it go all together.

Hope that explains it well.

Long live HWC.
Old December 7, 2010, 08:18 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Take it as you will but if AMD can compete against this, then I'd be more than happy to start spewing hyperbole for their cards as well.
Better yet: cut it off from all sides! A bit of enthusiasm doesn't hurt, but the current style is just not my taste.
Old December 7, 2010, 08:19 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

You can only say "it offers excellent price and performance" so many ways so many times.

Personally, I tend to write like that more and its not only boring to write, but often a yawn to read and generally largely skipped over.

I appreciate the literary techniques used by Sky, and in fact most reviewers here. It shows the enthusiasm they have for what they are doing, and it helps me get excited for the product or conversely, understand where it is weak.

It's a human who presents these articles and we want to showcase that.

Different strokes for different folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrebai View Post
Better yet: cut it off from all sides! A bit of enthusiasm doesn't hurt, but the current style is just not my taste.
That's okay, there are tens of thousands of others that don't seem to mind.
Tom's Hardware is.... -----> That a way

It may just be that our reviews aren't for you, as it is part of what has made HWC unique from the get go.

Last edited by FiXT; December 7, 2010 at 08:28 AM.