Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1, 2010, 09:48 AM
Rookie

Default EVGA Gtx 275, SLI?

Built a PC September 2009, My question is i bought the gtx 275 as it was best price at the time, & also i could grab another one for SLI if need be.

Well i am out of the PC loop & noticed nobody sells the gtx 275 i assume it was discontinued i can find some for sale used & only pay $100-150 which is a good price, so Is it worth adding another one for SLI to further the life span of my PC or just save up & buy a new GPU next year? & if i SLI does it need to be the same speed GPU or can i buy a superclocked edition with a vanilla 275?

Any problems with many games anymore when doing SLI? My PC still runs everything fine yet to notice anty slow down but i figure grab a new GPU while i still can noticed some users selling some in the classified section as well.

AMD 965
Corsair 1600 6gb Ram.
750w power supply
Antec 300 case
EVGA GTX 275
ASUS M4A78T-E ATX 790GX Socket
Vista 64 bit
FYI i use a Samnsung 24" 1920x1200 monitor
Old December 1, 2010, 09:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Unless you do a driver hack, you won't be able to SLI on that board as its AMD with an AMD chipset and not a nVidia chipset (which is the way AMD works alas).

So what I would suggest is saving up for something from Team Red for Xfire in the future if your board supports it and selling your 275.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 1, 2010, 10:03 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Unless you do a driver hack, you won't be able to SLI on that board as its AMD with an AMD chipset and not a nVidia chipset (which is the way AMD works alas).

So what I would suggest is saving up for something from Team Red for Xfire in the future if your board supports it and selling your 275.

Regards,
ST

You are correct, looking at it now that is the Motherboard my brother bought, i have to go home & check what i bought...it was a Asus something EVO...forget the middle part & if i remember i made sure i bought one that could SLI, will update when i check my box at home.
Old December 1, 2010, 10:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If it was the EVO 980a then you are golden, and for a mere 100 could get a reasonable performance increase. Though still, no DX11.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 1, 2010, 10:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Barely used 480's are a great deal right now....should be able to pick one up for $325 - $375.....SLi 460's.......single 580........single 5870........etc etc....

Old December 1, 2010, 10:56 AM
Rookie

Called my PC store i got it built at i bought the M4A76T-E so no SLI for me, thinking back. The way i was thinking i did this so i could do SLI because i always said i would never dual GPU & just buy a new one. No big deal maybe i will just grab a 5870 or 470.
Old December 1, 2010, 11:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^ You should consider building it yourself next time........thiers a ton of "help" available here....if I can do it..anyone can, the benefit is, you know your machine inside out and backwards....makes any potential troubleshooting a whole lot easier and cheaper!!

Old December 1, 2010, 01:13 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^ You should consider building it yourself next time........thiers a ton of "help" available here....if I can do it..anyone can, the benefit is, you know your machine inside out and backwards....makes any potential troubleshooting a whole lot easier and cheaper!!

I picked all my parts out & had memory express build it & install the OS, $50 extra but i could care less about building my own PC.

I price matched everything on pricecanada as well they were pissed but i could care less got a killer PC for next to nothing.