MVP

My System Specs

Default What do $prices$ usually do in LAST half of December

My phenom II x3 740 BE 3.0 GHz just got here today, a will also be getting

asus M4A89gtd pro

4GB DDR3 1600 CL7

~750W PSU

Corsair H50

I won't have any $$$ till the last half of December, and Xmas itself...

So what do online prices tend to do, I haven't payed attention in years...
Old November 25, 2010, 11:11 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

There are usually some very good deals to be had during the boxing day sales. My computer upgrades usually happen during this period.
Old November 25, 2010, 11:19 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Competition has re blossomed in the tech industry, especially in Canada, which unfortunately, I believe, will translate into more mediocre sales during traditional big sale times.

We have seen larger price drops at the manufacturer level well before the Christmas season, and a lot of retailers expanding into new territories with more regular grand promotions at less competitive times. So not only is their margin being chopped before Christmas rolls around, but many retailers just don't have the same amount promotional funding to expend on holiday shopping.

TBH, While there will be good deals at boxing day and such - I really wouldn't expect to be blown away. Most retailers have been offering lower prices overall, introducing new price saving and other cost adding features to their bundled/offered services - which ultimately cost them money, again, see above.

I think this is going to be a more tame boxing day than years gone by. There is always the potential for good deals but if you have already bought parts and want to get the system up before Christmas, I would say do it now. You'll save yourself a few lunches by buying after Christmas but my time v. money prediction is that it wouldn't be worth it.

Overall, I wouldn't expect prices to drop much outside of sales. New items are on the horizon for after Christmas however, so you may be able to scout out some EOL products in the video card, and CPU/Motherboard category.

Last edited by FiXT; November 25, 2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old November 25, 2010, 01:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
Overall, I wouldn't expect prices to drop much outside of sales. New items are on the horizon for after Christmas however, so you may be able to scout out some EOL products in the video card, and CPU/Motherboard category.
I honestly think everybody should listen to FiXT for a change.

The thing is though, most of the price drops for the EOL stuff seem to have already happened, or are in the process of happening. Most of them have been fairly quiet as well. AMD's been dropping prices across the board and they've reflected fairly quickly in Canadian stores, which isn't usually the case. Intel's already released their Retail Edge promotions as well as dropping a few CPU prices. RAM prices seem to have dropped across the board as well, I just picked up 2x4GB of 1333 RAM for $89, they were priced at over twice that amount less than a year ago. I think the mentality this time around is sell early, sell for less, and sell more. It seems to have been like that for most electronic/computer industries. I've already seen 2 big warehouse clearances for computer/electronics companies before Black Friday.