Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 22, 2010, 02:15 PM
Rookie

Default MSI N470GTX Twin Frozr II vs. Reference Radeon HD 6870

Hi guys,

I'm laying down the finishing touches on my new gaming rig but I have been having trouble deciding which video card to get. I'm trying to decide between the following cards:

1. MSI N470GTX Twin Frozr II
2. Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
3. XFX Radeon HD 6870
4. XFX Radeon HD 6870 Black Edition

I originally intended to get the ASUS Radeon HD 6870 but NCIX is currently out of stock and as I am having them build my rig for me I need something they have in stock... or wait for more but I'm told I cannot get an ETA. I mostly wanted the ASUS brand as almost every other component is ASUS... I just felt like that would have some benefit ha. I've also had my eye of the MSI Radeon HD 6870 and the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 470 Fermi Super OC 700MHZ - both out of stock. :(

Soooo.. that leaves me with the list you see above (there are some other brands of the 6870 available, but these seemed to be the best choices as they're more recognized from what I could determine - plus I get either lots of extras, or a lifetime warranty).

A big concern of mine is actually heat and noise. I really don't want my system to overheat, and I'd like to be rid of the current jet engine I have running beside me. I've heard the reference GTX 470 cards get really hot and I was afraid I wouldn't have sufficient cooling for them. That's why the only GTX 470 I have listed is the MSI N470GTX Twin Frozr II. However this particular card brings up another concern for me: It exhausts the heat inside the case, which brings up the temperature on everything else in my computer. I don't think I'll be doing any overclocking, definitely not right away - maybe in the future when my system is lagging behind in the games I want to play. I will more than likely be looking to OC my CPU before the video card though; as I believe I can get better performance from that than OCing the video card (I honestly have no idea to be honest lol).

From what I can tell the performance between the two cards is pretty even. Though that was reference vs. reference. I also don't know what effect the Black Edition's factory OC would have on performance.

Anyways... I've rambled on long enough. Here's the rest of my system build so you guys can see what I'm working with here:

Coolermaster Haf 912 (With 2 extra 200MM fans - front and top - 120MM moved to the side).
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
Intel Core i5 760
XFX 750W Black Edition
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws (DDR3 1600)
Western Digital Caviar Black
ASUS VH236H 23 Widescreen

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or opinions!
Old November 22, 2010, 02:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would personally recommend getting a 6870 as i went from a MSI 465 Golden Edition (which is a 470 with twin frozr and copper heatsink) to sli of those which is damn near impossible as it vents into the case to crossfire 6870 and i find the 6870 runs a lot cooler and i would say better in crossfire then the HOT 465 GEs.
Old November 22, 2010, 03:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Coming from a reference GTX 470 user, I'd say the 6870 is your best bet, seeing as noise and heat are your primary concerns. Running FurMark or Heaven Benchmark, with my 470's fan set to auto, it will max out at 61%, and the temperature will just barely touch 90 degrees. Luckily, that heat is sent out the back of my HAF 922, so my room stays toasty, not the insides of my PC! Cranking up the fan to even just 75% makes the card sound like a jetliner.

For me, that isn't much of a concern, especially coming from a pair of 4870's, but for someone like you, who wants cool operation, and heat expelled from the case,the ATI is definitely the better option.
Old November 22, 2010, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

6870 over the 470 any day. While I love the OC potential of my 470 Golden Edition(Same one as Arinoth), It runs at relatively cool temperatures (40C idle and 80C load) but it pumps out a lot of heat so not only will it heat up your room but your case fans are going to have a bit of a workout in order to keep your system temps within check. This may be an isolated incident but I also found the Twin Frozr had some fan rattle at specific rpm settings. While I may be unlucky with both my cards having this problem albeit at different fan speeds (one rattles from 55-70%fan speed and the other from 65-75) I wouldn't recommend the Twin Frozr heatsinks.

Tl;dr 6870 pumps out less heat, runs cooler and doesn't require as much power as a 470. 6870 is the obvious choice.

Old November 22, 2010, 03:52 PM
MVP

My System Specs

coming from a hardcore nvidia fan, I'd say go with the 6870

the review tells it all
HD 6870 & HD 6850 vs. GTX 460 1GB: An Overclocking Study
Old November 22, 2010, 03:55 PM
MVP
F@H

Another 470 user here.

The Twin Frozr design does keep the unit cool, but at the cost of flinging hot air at everything else in the case.

Go Red for this one.
Old November 22, 2010, 04:33 PM
Rookie

Any particular brand you guys would choose?

Should I just grab one of the above? Or would it be worth my while to wait for the ASUS model to come back in stock?

Thanks!
Old November 22, 2010, 04:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'd recommend a XFX 6870 for their great warranty alone. It is a couple more bucks than the Asus but then you're covered for the life of the card, and so is the person who buys the card off of you in the future, which means you can get a few extra coins in when you resell.

You can Pricematch this XFX 6870 with the one at NCIX to save you some money too!

XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI, Dual DisplayPort at Memory Express Computers

Last edited by DkRk; November 22, 2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old November 23, 2010, 12:42 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DokkRokken View Post
I'd recommend a XFX 6870 for their great warranty alone. It is a couple more bucks than the Asus but then you're covered for the life of the card, and so is the person who buys the card off of you in the future, which means you can get a few extra coins in when you resell.

You can Pricematch this XFX 6870 with the one at NCIX to save you some money too!

XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI, Dual DisplayPort at Memory Express Computers
Yeah the warranty issues makes a lot of sense. And actually I generally play my systems into the ground. My current setup has been with me for 5 or 6 years now. So considering I'll be using the same card for such a long time... a lifetime warranty doesn't sound too bad.

I'm mostly just wondering if maybe the ASUS would be better due to its aluminum cover. It claims to be cooler than the other reference cards and that means less noise and heat in my system. If I do go forward with OCing my CPU in the future I'd like the inside to be as cool as possible.
Old November 25, 2010, 01:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

About the warranty debate. I'm of the opinion that Asus warranty is better for Canadians since the RMA center is located in Ontario and makes for cheaper and faster shipping. The only reason that I would get XFX is if I plan on reselling it since it holds its resale value better