Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 21, 2010, 10:12 PM
Rookie

Default 6800 originally meant for 32nm?

I read the Barts GPU was originally designed for the 32nm process. Is it true that after AMD realized the 32nm process wasn't going to be done by TSMC they simply scaled up their designs to 40nm without any further consideration? I'm not sure why I'm pondering this, but when I think about that I get this weird feeling that the 6800's are somehow flawed in their design. I get ideas of possible radiation, dirty electricity, or a short-life for the 6800s. Are any of these worries based on real reason? This might just be superstition.

Thanks.

Last edited by Rooke; November 21, 2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old November 22, 2010, 02:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Old November 22, 2010, 06:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooke View Post
I read the Barts GPU was originally designed for the 32nm process. Is it true that after AMD realized the 32nm process wasn't going to be done by TSMC they simply scaled up their designs to 40nm without any further consideration? I'm not sure why I'm pondering this, but when I think about that I get this weird feeling that the 6800's are somehow flawed in their design. I get ideas of possible radiation, dirty electricity, or a short-life for the 6800s. Are any of these worries based on real reason? This might just be superstition.

Thanks.

Nothing harmful is emitted out of these. Anything that is sold in Canada has a lot of strict regulations to follow. And I didn't hear what you have read so I don't know. Regardless of the manufacturing process it will remain to be seen the longevity of the core, but in all reality it is the components built around it (power delivery , etc etc) that will fail long before the actual GPU chip.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 22, 2010, 02:02 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I'm skeptical that Linus' video was legit since he was able to find any brain waves with or without the foil... ;p
Fold for team #54196