Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 22, 2010, 08:12 AM
Rookie

Question

Not sure who this is supposed to appeal to, it pretty much runs even with the GTX460 768MB. Wins in memory bandwidth limited situations, loses in shader-limited situations, but in the scenarios where it wins (1920x1080, high AA/details) you should really be moving up to either the GTX460 1GB (for not much more money) or a beefier card entirely.

Especially with the GTX460 768MB cards nosing under $150 (less MIRs) on sale regularly, this is another Sucker Edition methinks, at the current estimated CDN$180 price point.

Edit: I can see the OEMs jumping on this so they can splash "GTX460" on their promo material. Significant improvement over the GTS450, but with low enough power and temperature numbers to not stretch an OEM PSU too much. They'd still need 2x PCIe 6-pin plugs though, so it might become the "high-end" card for most.

Sidebar: Nice to see that registration with a pseudonym and a throwaway GMail account is OK, but trying to use my real name/email gets me flagged as a "spammer."

Last edited by PeregrineFalcon; November 22, 2010 at 08:31 AM. Reason: OEM stuff + spelling
Old November 22, 2010, 08:18 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Looking online, I don't see the point of these cards price wise to the 1GB 460's.
Old November 22, 2010, 09:06 AM
MVP

They are just trying to sell unused GF104 cores, I don't think Nvidia really cares if the card makes sense. I imagine salepeople selling many of these cards.

"Hi, I would like to buy a PC, what graphics card should I get?"

"Oh well the GTX 460 is really popular, and Nvidia released this special edition card that is the same price as the original, it comes with more RAM"

"I'll take it"

Voilla.
Old November 22, 2010, 11:10 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

This ^^^^^. I agree totally.
Old November 22, 2010, 12:15 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

This isn't rebranding. It's a new product with a modified core layout.
Old November 22, 2010, 01:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
This isn't rebranding. It's a new product with a modified core layout.
Team Green was already having issues with GF104 (a "full core" was 7/8 functional SMs) so my bet is on this being another way to increase yields through binning.
Old November 22, 2010, 01:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

Wonder why someone would consider this over other cards which perform as good or better. I must admit that the temps were much lower, but a good system can do this anyway.
Old November 22, 2010, 07:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default GTX460

I love the 460's specially the 1gig version, they are great for their money!
Old November 23, 2010, 04:10 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Honestly, my best guess NV is doing because they want to move otherwise unusable cores (for more money than disabling MORE cores and lowering them down another notch) AND they know the big system builders (Dell, etc) will gobble this up. To an enthusiast ten bucks is a no-brainer (get the better GPU)...BUT ten bucks to an OEM making 10000's of computers IS a big deal. That and when avg joe hears "S.E" they think SPECIAL Edition. Bet we see a LOT of these end up in Dell's, HP's and the like in the near'ish future....and peeps who dont know any better bragging about their 460 SE they got as a "free upgrade" from the 460 1GB they ordered in their Dell. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 23, 2010, 04:40 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
They are just trying to sell unused GF104 cores, I don't think Nvidia really cares if the card makes sense. I imagine salepeople selling many of these cards.

"Hi, I would like to buy a PC, what graphics card should I get?"

"Oh well the GTX 460 is really popular, and Nvidia released this special edition card that is the same price as the original, it comes with more RAM"

"I'll take it"

Voilla.

Sounds like some futureshop "techs" I over hear talking to customers lol.