Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2010, 02:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default red/green vertical lines on monitor

So i just purchased a new monitor to replace my 20" acer, its a benq E2420HD. Ive also got another 22" acer which is now the secondary monitor. Had no issues hooking it up or watching video etc on it. Then as soon as i launch call of duty black ops i get a bunch of green checkerboards on both monitors and the pc locks up.
When i restart even on the bios splash i have red lines going up and down both monitors only in one section, and then windows gets to the loading screen and wont load up.
If i let it sit for a bit i can load up windows, and i was actually just in fallout 3 for about 3 minutes then i got the checkerboard issue and the lines when i restart. Im assuming this is an overheating issue with the video card since it does work fine if its left for a bit, but not for gaming.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Specs in my sig are out dated, ive got a phenom 2 940, m3a79t deluxe board, 4870x2 video card. Its all in a haf 932 case so cooling shouldnt be an issue, at least it hasnt been up until the first time i tried to play a game with this new monitor.
Mobo: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
Memory: 4gb OCZ Platinum 1000mhz ddr2
Graphics: 2x Sapphire 4830s in Crossfire
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mouse: Logitech G9
HD:WD 640gb Caviar Black + 750gb Seagate
#hardwarecanucks on irc.enterthegame.com
Old November 18, 2010, 02:44 PM
Banned
F@H

reseat, change pci-e slot,check connections. possible one is gone/going. lines means usually its memory, squares/symbols/etc core. usually.
Old November 18, 2010, 02:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Sounds like your video card is dying -- running CoD forces it to ramp up to handle 3D image processing, and that stress can trigger or reveal the problem. What you're seeing is artifacts, which aren't necessarily heat-related. Easy enough to check, manually set your card fan to 100% and open up the computer case to ensure adequate airflow.

However, given the age of your cards, my bet would be on one or both of them dying, probably due to solder microfractures caused by heat cycling. Start by pulling a card, to try to isolate the problem to one or the other.

If you've still got a warranty, great. If not, I'd suggest researching how to bake a video card. Worked twice for me, cards have functioned perfectly ever since (195C, 10 minutes, components face down).
Old November 18, 2010, 02:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

ive actually got a 4870x2 now, not the 4830s, so i cant really remove one. Ive tried moving the card to another pcie slot, and so far i was just playing fallout 3 just fine, and just played a match of black ops without any artifacting at all. Although i did also take out my razer sound card to allow me to move it, and this is with just the old monitor hooked up. Windows also redownloaded drivers from windows update, so it could be a driver issue but its odd that it would affect it at the bios level afterwards

Time to hook everything back up and see if it can handle it.
Old November 18, 2010, 03:12 PM
Banned
F@H

when in doubt,except when it does it at boot as well, load up linux on a cd and give it a go there too. load 3dgears or something. not much, but still. no problem there? likely a soft issue. problem there? ouch
Old November 18, 2010, 03:39 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
when in doubt,except when it does it at boot as well, load up linux on a cd and give it a go there too. load 3dgears or something. not much, but still. no problem there? likely a soft issue. problem there? ouch
Well it was doing it in the bios, but after swapping the slots it SEEMS to be ok for now. As of right now ive got my soundcard back in, got both monitors up, and was just playing fallout with no issue so far. I might have to get furmark or something just to test it and see how it goes on that.
Old November 18, 2010, 03:49 PM
Banned
F@H

cool. just in case watch your fan speeds. heck let atitool or the like handle it and set minimum at 45-50 percent or such