Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 25, 2007, 11:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default GT or GTS

I have read all the reviews and thought that I had my mind made up but then read skymtl's review and got a little confused only because I am noob when it comes to the new video cards. Now I play games at 1680 x 1050 and really can't decide if the GTS is going to be that much gain over getting a GT and saving over $100 by buying a GT at FShop tomorrow as they have the GTs for $249 and ncix has the GTS for around $359 (not taking into account the mail in rebates, as still have to shell out the money up front)

My question is at that resolution which card is going to perform the best with games like Crysis, Bioshock etc, and probably with AA off as I have no idea what AA actually does as I said I am a total noob when it comes to video cards

I am sorry for this post but all the threads I have read have not really touched at this resolution but 1600 x 1200 which I don't run

Thank you for any help with making this upgrade decision
Old December 26, 2007, 12:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If you can afford the G92 GTS, then I'd get that.
Future Shop has the XFX on sale for $329.99 Web Only though.

AA smooths out all those jagged edges and taxes the video card rather heavily in most cases.
Old December 26, 2007, 12:44 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Thanks for reply

Hey thanks for the reply jdrom yeah I was just looking at Fshops deal and well NCIX has it on sale right now for $339 and only 8.80 shipping, I am buying pieces at a time, have my ram and was getting vid card next.

Would the average gamer notice AA at all or no?
Old December 26, 2007, 09:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes the average gamer notices AA. Just try it your self. First try with no AA then 2x, then 4x then 8x and finally 16x. Now to me I like to at least get 4x AA.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old December 26, 2007, 09:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
yes the average gamer notices AA. Just try it your self. First try with no AA then 2x, then 4x then 8x and finally 16x. Now to me I like to at least get 4x AA.
Same here. Anything beyond 4x AA I can barely notice. With no AA vs 4x AA there's quite a difference. However in something like Crysis, it just totally cripples my 320MB 8800GTS, and I can only run medium settings at 1680x1050.
Old January 1, 2008, 04:57 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

AA doesn't seem to matter hardly at all unless you are very close to a relatively low res monitor for most people I talk to. and it seems like the GT is the better buy. you could even get a very nicely overclocked model and a huge cooler and still come out ahead on price by about $10 (based on EVGA's american website prices, but still...)