Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15, 2010, 10:36 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Should i sell it for this price??

Ive been offered $260 for my 5870, do you think thats worth it?

I mean i know its best to sell now before the new ATI launch cos of prices but $260?

Sucks how these cards lose so much value so fast

Thanks
Old November 15, 2010, 10:49 PM
Banned
F@H

go for it, dont look back. when you will it will be 250..24.0....
Old November 15, 2010, 10:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Honestly sounds like a lowball, but when you do a quick price search you see new ones going for $300 after MIR...
Old November 15, 2010, 11:38 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yeah good points

Guess i'll sell it and wait to see what ATI bring out next month

Cheers guys
Old November 15, 2010, 11:42 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I just bought an XFX reference on ebay for 285$ shipped in Canada. I also saw a used sapphire that went for $210. I think 260 is in the ballpark.
Old November 16, 2010, 04:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I think its in the lowball range however thats just me
Old November 16, 2010, 10:27 AM
MVP

people throw around the word lowball around way too easily and tend to be way too sensitive about what an item is "worth" imo.

look on Kijiji and you can probably find someone selling something like a GTS 250 for "$200 FIRM NO LOWBALLS YOU WRETCHED SCUMBAG FREAKS OR I'LL HUNT DOWN AND KILL YOU AND YOUR FAMILY." somewhere else, someone is paying $200 retail for one !

ultimately, an item is only worth what someone available is willing to pay for it. chances are, there's someone out there willing to pay almost retail for that item at any given moment, but that's not what the item is worth unless you can find that person.

the price you get for an item for sale largely depends on how long you're willing to wait. the greater the number of people who see your item, the greater the likelihood of receiving a higher price.. while supply/depand/retail price remain constant, of course. wait long enough and computer hardware will be worth less than the cost of its disposal.

a GTX 480 has never been "worth" retail price for me. not because I can't afford it, but because the benefits don't justify the cost (and drawbacks). until recently, demand for this GPU kept it out of my "worth it" range, but that may be changing.

with 2-3 prominent GPU releases and holiday sales coming before the end of the year, I think fair prices are very hard to define.

to answer the OP: I'd take $260 - especially because I've seen others for sale at this price. dec 13 is getting closer.

Last edited by Desiato; November 16, 2010 at 10:46 AM.