Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 20, 2010, 08:10 AM
MVP

My System Specs

unless you get a really crappy vid card the chance of good OC is there, but of course a lower vid card is a more desirable since it runs colder and potentially have more headroom but it isn'T always the case.

RJ
950 is NOT ENOUGH :D, there's a few results already on hwbot of 580 @ 1000+core and they only started to sell
Old November 20, 2010, 08:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Sorry to blow your theory out of the water but no...lower VID doesn't mean better OC'er at all...remember..GPU / CPU Chips do not OC in a linear fashion along with Voltage.....low VID simply means your Chip will run at Stock Clocks at low Voltage, once you start OC'ing...all bets are off, then it simply matters just how "golden" your Chip is.....

Thier are folks with GTX 480's VID 0.980v that cannot get as high Core Speed as folks with the same Card VID 1.065v.

Quote:
..RJ
950 is NOT ENOUGH :D, there's a few results already on hwbot of 580 @ 1000+core and they only started to sell
Thats what I said in my previous Post..

Quote:
I know some folks have been boasting 1ghz....
Buying / selling till you get ones that will hit 1 Ghz? ...........now that is "extreme" .....I'll be extremely happy if my Evga Cards can hit around 875 Mhz (with no OV).....

Old November 20, 2010, 09:14 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^^ Sorry to blow your theory out of the water but no...lower VID doesn't mean better OC'er at all...remember..GPU / CPU Chips do not OC in a linear fashion along with Voltage.....low VID simply means your Chip will run at Stock Clocks at low Voltage, once you start OC'ing...all bets are off, then it simply matters just how "golden" your Chip is......

if you read me right i'm not saying lower = better oc, but i'd say the % of good OCers are better in the lower vid cards than in the highish vid cards, yes you can get crappy card with both high and low vid but lower vids is more desirable for reasons mentioned above IMO.
Old November 20, 2010, 09:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

Great review as always SKY! Man, those cards are real beasts.
Old November 20, 2010, 09:35 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkultra View Post
if you read me right i'm not saying lower = better oc, but i'd say the % of good OCers are better in the lower vid cards than in the highish vid cards, yes you can get crappy card with both high and low vid but lower vids is more desirable for reasons mentioned above IMO.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Like, yes there are exceptions, but in general you want a card with a lower VID.

Then I came across THIS. What do you guys think of it?
Old December 24, 2010, 04:47 PM
Rookie

Wow, friggin awesome. I never liked dual GPU solutions and this puts that to rest for the time being.