Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19, 2010, 08:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
There's a beta that has support for it, 2.1.0 Beta 4, but unfortunately someone at MSI screwed it up a little so that the voltage adjustments can't be monitored and don't reset until you cold boot. I'm waiting for the final release which is coming after AMD releases their 6900 series.
i found nvidiainspector to be the best for ocing 580's so far

Dazmode
I've seen around 50mhz more from AIR to WC on my card YMMV
Old November 19, 2010, 09:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Just curious..if you're set on Over-volting that Card, have you tried the new ELeet (supports OV 580's)...also I've been OC'ing nv Cards for the past few years now...any reason why you don't use Precision?

Old November 19, 2010, 10:07 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
There's a beta that has support for it, 2.1.0 Beta 4, but unfortunately someone at MSI screwed it up a little so that the voltage adjustments can't be monitored and don't reset until you cold boot. I'm waiting for the final release which is coming after AMD releases their 6900 series.
This is the reason I haven't touched the voltage on my MSI 580 yet. Anything above 880MHz I start to fail F@H WU's.
Old November 19, 2010, 11:05 PM
MVP

My System Specs

i think eleet only supports EVGA gpus
why not precision? well i would have to use another apps for voltage which is a deal breaker
I've been using afterburner for a while especially because the unlocked version gives up to 1.5v but doesn't work on the 580 so nvidiainspector it is for now

btw here's a little table i made when testing my ASUS 580

this is on air, on water i've reached 986/1.163v in vantage, other benchs are more tolerant.

honestly i was hoping for 1000 @ core but can't make it, i'll try with really low ambient tomorrow if i can
Old November 19, 2010, 11:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I forgot actually ..you have to have a Registered Evga Product (Mobo or GPU) to download ELeet. Really surprised you couldn't get to 850 Mhz on Stock Voltage ??...huh
thats what we keep pestering evga with is combining the OC'ing of Precision with the Voltage adjustments of ELeet.

With my Evga 480's VID 1.000v I can get to 825 / 1980 ...then 1.0625v got me to 850 / 2025..that was as far as I tested the Cards..temps were fairly decent..max was around 74c running Vantage.

Old November 19, 2010, 11:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

well i can download eleet since i own a classified but options in the graphic tabs are greyed out

i'm kinda disappointed in that card, thinking of selling it and buying another one
i mean it's not bad but not good enough :D
Old November 20, 2010, 12:13 AM
MVP

My System Specs

mkultra - thanks for posting that table, very informative! My VID is 1.016 so I'd guess it's probably a slightly worse clocker than yours, but honestly I'll be happy with anything around 950. Never heard of that nvidiainspector, I'll have to check it out.
Old November 20, 2010, 01:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

950 Mhz isn't good enough for what? ...hahahaha...just get a 2nd / 3rd Card ;) I've got two coming and will pop in a 3rd at some point soon....

I know some folks have been boasting 1ghz....

Quote:
My VID is 1.016 so I'd guess it's probably a slightly worse clocker than yours,
your VID level doesn't dictate at all how well your GPU will OC.....

I'll be posting up some OC results on my 580SC's whenever they arrive ;)

Old November 20, 2010, 01:36 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post

your VID level doesn't dictate at all how well your GPU will OC.....
I was under the impression that it did. If a given chip can run the stock settings at a lower than average voltage, it only follows that it will run higher than average clocks at higher voltages. If his chip only required 1.013v to run stock clocks, while mine required 1.016v to run stock clocks, then his chip is slightly more efficient than mine.

I do realize that this isn't totally true, as there is some headroom with raising clocks at the stock voltage. They're not running on the edge of instability at stock clocks... but I guess I think of it this way: if we're both stable at 840mhz with stock voltage, then if we both raise our voltage to the same amount (1.138 for example), he should reach a higher stable clock than I would, because A: his chip is slightly more efficient, and B: he has raised his voltage 0.003v more than I have. Does this make sense to anyone other than me?
Old November 20, 2010, 07:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

CPU's have done the same VID thing for a long time. It really has nothing to do with how well a given chip can clock.

Some high volt CPU's actually clock better then lower VID. They may use more juice, yes, but some of them just clock better.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about