Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15, 2010, 09:48 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
There are certain aspects of the design of modern GPUs which can't really be discussed at length. Such as the BIOS' ability to log certain settings and any modifiers applied.

I checked the power consumption in Furmark with the limiter off. It was higher. Past that, I see no relevance of testing with the limiter off since it did not affect performance or overclocking ability

cool, so if they want they can log it.

did it downclock once the limiter was off(oc+ov mode) ?

edit how much higher?

danke herr sky
Old November 15, 2010, 10:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks SKY, great article once again. Out of curiosity, how do you test for stability of overclocks? And about the error correction for the GDDR5, how can you tell when that's kicking in, is there a drop in performance or just no more increase? Thanks again
Old November 16, 2010, 05:48 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
cool, so if they want they can log it.

did it downclock once the limiter was off(oc+ov mode) ?

edit how much higher?

danke herr sky
No downclocking in games, F@H or our power consumption test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
Thanks SKY, great article once again. Out of curiosity, how do you test for stability of overclocks? And about the error correction for the GDDR5, how can you tell when that's kicking in, is there a drop in performance or just no more increase? Thanks again
Stability testing is usually done wit ha combination of 3DMark06 Batch Size Test and a few play-throughs of our AvP test. This time it was a little harder though since the overclock needed to be stable for EVERY game and EVERY resolution.
Old November 16, 2010, 10:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I cant see how ATI can compete with this sort of thing at the single GPU level. Especially if games like crysis 2 use its tessellation capabilities effectively. The overclocking scaling is just incredible-

I was very happy with 2 470's until I read this-seems to be a lot of happy addicts in the other GTX580 review thread

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old November 16, 2010, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah this really shows the benefits of G110 architecture. Overclocking produces great results!
Old November 16, 2010, 10:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I read this article and I was like:

I'm f**king getting one.

If the throttling doesn't affect OC's or F@H performance or game performance when card is OC'ed, it's damn worth the extra $$$ for this beast. Ironically I was juuust about to order an EVGA SC 580 when I read this article. THANKS SKY!

Just to be certain, it's THIS ONE, RIGHT?
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old November 16, 2010, 10:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I ordered 2 x 580 SC Evga yesterday (not in Stock but soon) ....PriceMatch to Newegg.ca for $525.....guys are consistently getting these beast from stock 797 Mhz to 900+ Mhz...crazy!!! Best my 480's will do is 825 without voltage. I'm really looking forward to playing with these ;)

Old November 16, 2010, 10:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm waiting for a stable afterburner build to OC mine...
Old November 16, 2010, 11:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

OMFG I haven't seen performance gains like that from overclocking a GPU for quite some time. The minimum framerate boost is wonderful!
Old November 16, 2010, 11:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
I ordered 2 x 580 SC Evga yesterday (not in Stock but soon) ....PriceMatch to Newegg.ca for $525.....guys are consistently getting these beast from stock 797 Mhz to 900+ Mhz...crazy!!! Best my 480's will do is 825 without voltage. I'm really looking forward to playing with these ;)
Oh crap, should I get the Asus one or the EVGA SC? I'm leaning more towards Asus 'cause they got voltage tweak, but then again EVGA's have good customer service/warranty, and still OC's like a beast F! F! F! F! Asus one is $500 (out of stock though) at Newegg right now and EVGA SC is still $525 as RJ mentioned. If I were to get the Asus one and have the voltage turned up a bit, would it be wise to *keep* it there for a long-term OC? I'm not planning on keeping the card for more than 8 months, (lol, probably closer to 6) anyway, so...

[Off-Topic]I'm gonna post a thread in OC/Tweaking/Benching forum about 480 OC's if there isn't one already. I'm new to video card OCing and kind-of like WTF? with the overclock I reached. RJ's 825MHZ OC makes me more settled, but if anyone else would like to chime in, much appreciated [/OT]
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One