Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15, 2010, 04:30 AM
Rookie

Question [Upgrade - HD6850] I could use some advice again

Hello guys!
If you remember, I was asking for help some time ago, but still haven't bought anything. That's because I've been wating for new Ati cards to see what happens.

My configuration:
AMD X2 6000+
2x1GB RAM 533Mhz DDR2
MB AsRock NF6gG-DVI (nForce)
Nvidia 8600GT
2xHDD
1xDVD ROM
400W power supply

So, I need to upgrade and I'm considering these 2 variants:

Variant 1: Upgrading video card only.
I'd go with Ati HD6850, but prove me wrong if you think Nvidia has a better offering.
Pros: saving $$$
Cons: severe bottlenecking issues because of CPU. For instance, I'm getting a huge chat log lag in Battlefield BC2 and I don't think new video card would solve this.

Q1: On top of that how do you think my nForce chipset would go along with this Ati card? I am a bit worried by that.

Variant 2: Upgrading video card, motherboard, CPU (and possibly memory too)
Here, I've got 3 questions:

Q2a: What motherboard and CPU would you recommend for Ati HD6850? (Don't want something too costly, but nor something that will be useless a couple of years from now either)
Q2b: What motherboard and CPU would you recommend for Ati HD6870? (In case I decide to spent more)
Q2c: Do you think that those RAMs should be replaced or supplemented?

Thanks in advance

...and sorry for my english.
Old November 15, 2010, 05:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What brand and model is your PSU, what would your budget be ?

I would think an upgrade wouldn't hurt. Depending on the platform, keeping your ram is a possibility.
Old November 15, 2010, 08:01 AM
Banned
F@H

between gtx 460 and hd 6850 , 6850 any day. better power and thermal figures, performance.

yes, what was your psu again? at 1920x1080/1200 or above the gpu will do most of the work, below that your cpu will be morel imited
Old November 17, 2010, 06:02 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
What brand and model is your PSU, what would your budget be ?

I would think an upgrade wouldn't hurt. Depending on the platform, keeping your ram is a possibility.
It's not really about budget, I just want to know whether you think that my CPU is much too outdated and how bad the bottlenecking would be if I just bought the graphic card alone.

If it's really necessary, I'll buy a new MB + I don't know.........AMD Phenom II 955 QUAD X4 BE AM3 C3 perhaps? And I don't know much about these new CPUs so I'd like to see your recommendation here.

Originally, I just wanted a small upgrade to be able to run games like Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3 at least on medium and then buy a completely new PC 1-2 years from now.

My PSU: COLORSit EN60950 400W
Old November 17, 2010, 06:32 AM
Banned
F@H

i believe a good psu should also be thrown into the cart. unless yours is a good one that we havent heard about up here in ameri ca :)
Old November 23, 2010, 12:58 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
i believe a good psu should also be thrown into the cart. unless yours is a good one that we havent heard about up here in ameri ca :)
Not it's a garbage. I actually had to make a claim a couple of years ago. 3 condensators got toasted for no reason.
The replacement seems to be doing fine, although it rattles during cold starts when it's cold in my room. What the heck?
Old November 23, 2010, 03:16 PM
Banned
F@H

k. thats the fan, probably needs oiling or some dirt got in there.
Old November 27, 2010, 02:14 PM
Rookie

Get this bundle Great CPU and motherboard. Get some G.skill ripjaws for $50-60 and top it off with a 6850. Free shipping for the entire order, and your system is set. Oh, do get a heatsink like this one OC your CPU and you will have a AMD 955 for a fraction of the cost. P.S no need to update PSU this way, as the processor is 65w and the video card is I think 130W at peak.