Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Too Step Up or Not to Step Up? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/37899-too-step-up-not-step-up.html)

ipaine November 11, 2010 10:08 PM

Too Step Up or Not to Step Up?
 
That is the question.

So I have a eVGA GTX460 1GB EE. Of course for what I paid for it I could turn around and easily get a 470 now. Anyways I checked and I still have 18 days left for a step up. So I figured out that it would cost me $265 US to step up to the GTX 580 (015-P3-1580-AR). Now the question is what do I do? Is it worth it to go from the 460 up to the 580?

I compared the reviews from here on both cards and I'm looking at roughly about 35%-50% gains across the board. What are peoples thoughts? Part of me would really like to do it and that way my card will be good for quite awhile and would transfer to my next mobo/cpu upgrade. But then the other part of me wonders if my wife will let me. :biggrin:

Thoughts?

_dangtx_ November 11, 2010 10:11 PM

265 buckers is a load of cash for an upgrade. keep your 460 or sell it and go cf? :)

ipaine November 11, 2010 10:15 PM

I want to stick to Nvidia. Nothing against ATI but I swear everytime I deal with them at work I get issues with the drivers. I did forget to mention that the board I have right now does not support SLI. If it did I would just consider getting another 460, but that is not an option. Oh and I won't get as much for my 460 if I just sell it since I get the full $265 I paid for it with the step up. I just don't see being able to get that for it now.

So basically it is upgrade or do nothing and leave it be for now. Just have 18 days until the step up time period is over. Have to decide before then of course.

_dangtx_ November 11, 2010 10:25 PM

ok, do nothing or snatch a used one. some say....that the sli thingie on any mobo has gotten better. jest goggle it :)

some say a guy with bad spelling has tried it on a 4 or so year old intel mobo and it worked. some say the same guy with bad spelling has tried it on a new am2+/am3 giga mobo and it worked ;)

tangrisser November 11, 2010 11:09 PM

Well 265 US isn't a bad deal since GTX 580 is going for around 550 CAD and you probably paid around 260 for it?

I would consider it to be a small jump since you are not moving over to newer generation card rather moving to a faster card in the same generation.

mo' power November 12, 2010 12:22 AM

Make the jump if your next mb is going to be an sli board. At least you'll have the benefit of getting a second card at a cheaper price a little ways down the road. As long as your rent/mortgage, car payment/insurance and pets are fed, go for it! (and your new rig WILL play Crysis)

and get something for the wifey:thumb:

ZZLEE November 12, 2010 12:43 AM

the One gig of memory would limmit you in the SLI set up SLI 460 will only use 1 GB vidio ram not 2 GB.

Look up Linus tech tips he has one directly comparing 460 and a 580 in the same rig in SLI
YouTube - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 & SLI MSI & EVGA Graphics Card Video Review Linus Tech Tips

rjbarker November 12, 2010 12:59 AM

Step up.....!...Just do it....do it now.....!

Phill November 12, 2010 11:12 AM

I would do the step up to the 580.

martin_metal_88 November 12, 2010 11:44 AM

it all depend on how you want to run a game. If for you having everything turned on and crystal clear display dosen't really matter as long as there is no lag, keep the 460. If you want to run everythign maxed step up. But I don't know how a Q6600 will play with a 580. Won't bottleneck it but pretty sure a faster CPU would geet more juice out of it.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:41 AM.