Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12, 2010, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was thinking just that... Won't a Q6600 bottleneck a 580 ?

What games are you running that might benefit from an upgrade ?

The upgrade itself is very appealing and as long as the budget and the needs are there, I would do it, but I'd keep in mind that a CPU upgrade would come in handy sometime soon.
Old November 12, 2010, 12:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Step-up.

I would if I was in your position.

Good luck.
Old November 12, 2010, 01:14 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Can you step up to the 470 at the current prices? Free upgrades always sound nice
Old November 12, 2010, 01:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayerdave View Post
Can you step up to the 470 at the current prices? Free upgrades always sound nice
Paying shipping both ways kills it though. I'd step up to the GTX580 if you have the cash.
Old November 12, 2010, 01:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^ Exactly....if you're gonna go through the Step up process you may as well step up to the best you can get!!

Do it.....then upgrade your platform to a 1366 / 1156...you'll be all set for whatever the future has in store ;)

You then have the option to go bigger / better monitor....better PSU....SLi etc etc etc....and the bonus is you get your initial great GPU at a very reasonable cost !

Old November 12, 2010, 02:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

If your card is eligible for stepup, and it's in your budget, I'd definitely go for it. Consider how the prices are coming down, you're technically getting an even better deal.
Old November 12, 2010, 02:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

My 1st foray into gpus had me buy a mid range unit. When I saw the ripples, tearing, my friend showed me his
. Since then I always get the top dog. never regret it, and there isn't a game out there that won't run smoothly maxed out. Xfire and sli are good when you have no issues, problem is, there usually are. Stick with one card, get the 580!!!
Old November 12, 2010, 03:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, I'm sure that the Q6600 would end up being a bit of a bottleneck but I really can't afford the cost to switch platforms and move to an i7 setup. Where with this I just might be able to convince my wife. What really sucks is I just spent this amount on stinking groceries today, why or why is it wrong to let the kids starve?

Old November 12, 2010, 03:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ Hey..you gotta eat!!!

Quote:
Xfire and sli are good when you have no issues, problem is, there usually are.
What SLi issues are we talking about....been running SLi and Tri SLi for almost 3 yrs with no relevant "issues" at all....great Scaling....even Tri SLi scaling is reasonable....huh..the only real issue I can think of would be the micro stutter, but that was with Dual PCB Quad SLi arrangements, as in 2 x 9800GX2 or 2 x 295's......

Old November 12, 2010, 03:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yea, since my current board doesn't do SLI, I'm not even worried about it. But if I do go with the 580 then at least when I upgrade to a new platform I will be able to most likely get a new 580 for much cheaper. Maybe.

Well I think I'm convinced myself enough to get the 580, but I just have to sweet talk the wife. Time to get cleaning the kitchen before she gets home.