Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14, 2010, 07:47 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpd1983 View Post
Hi guys,

I have a HD 5870 atm but with all the new cards coming out from ATI and Nvidia i'm wondering if i should sell now while i can still get a decent price for the 5870

Do you's think the gtx580 and new ATI offerings will be that much better in terms of real "noticeable" performance gains coming from the 5870?

I know benchmarks show the 580 is faster on paper but in terms of feeling it "in game" ?

Games i play alot of - Fallout 3, crysis wars/warhead, company of heroes, supreme commander1,

Games i will be playing in the near future at 1920x1080 in the near future - crysis2, dead space 2,

Also i'd like to be well prepared for the next couple of years in terms of new DirectX11 games

Hard to decide, i've never had any game lag yet

Any opinions are much appreciated

Cheers
Pickup another 5870 and crossfire. Your card already supports DX11.
Old November 14, 2010, 08:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht_addict View Post
Pickup another 5870 and crossfire. Your card already supports DX11.
I'm going to agree on this standpoint, sure the new cards will be better than the old gen, but if there are some good price drops I don't see why it would be an issue getting yourself another one and going Crossfire. PRobably cost the same and net you better overall performance.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 15, 2010, 06:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for all the responses

So hard making a decision, as you all know, buying new toys is so addictive. Its really hard to stick with the same card when there's new tech coming out haha

Just curious do you guys think letting the 5870 go for $260 is worth it? (someone made me an offer locally) i mean its less than half what i paid for it and i just feel like im being robbed. I'm well aware that this is just how it all goes in the GPU/gaming world but still!

I'm stuck, i'd love to see what new cards ATI bring out next month but i dont want to not be able to sell the 5870 when they do come out cos of all around price drops

SO anoiying
Old November 15, 2010, 02:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I just picked up a second 5870 and now I can run games with full AA and still get great FPS. A single 5870 never really cut it for me.

The last year has seen such a massive improvement in video cards so I plan to wait a while before going for a new card.