Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9, 2010, 06:56 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Review Comment Thread

Rumors aplenty have been swirling about AMD's new HD 5900 series but NVIDIA hasn't been sitting on their laurels either. In order to preempt the release of AMD's upcoming flagship products, a new GeForce branded card is being introduced today. Dubbed the GTX 580, it uses a newly tweaked GF110 core along with higher clock speeds than the GTX 480 and the result is a class-leading card that dominates the single GPU landscape.

[ Read full article ]
Old November 9, 2010, 07:11 AM
Rookie

I would so buy one of these if they weren't selling for $570!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way too steep a price for me. I've also been waiting for the GIGABYTE GTX 480 Super Overclock mainly to see where it would be priced. I hope AMD isn't really going through delays for their high-end cards, otherwise this holiday season will suck for people in the high-end market. :(
Old November 9, 2010, 07:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

I must say those temps are really impressive. Now to wait and see how the new high end ATI cards will perform against the GTX 580.

EDIT: Where did you find one of these? None of the Canadian etailers are listing it.
Old November 9, 2010, 07:16 AM
Rookie

I'm still reading it, but had to comment: Great job on the article! I'm been a pleasure reading it. Very well written and easy to comprehend. Well done.

Heat: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=70411 | eBay: http://myworld.ebay.ca/rumxz
Old November 9, 2010, 07:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow, that is quite a card they've got there...
As for availability, have a look here : NCIX FORUMS - NOW SHIPPING: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 - ...
Old November 9, 2010, 07:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Interesting, now we need to see what AMD does before final judgement. There should be price cut down the line !

Great

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old November 9, 2010, 07:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
I must say those temps are really impressive. Now to wait and see how the new high end ATI cards will perform against the GTX 580.

EDIT: Where did you find one of these? None of the Canadian etailers are listing it.
NCIX FORUMS - NOW SHIPPING: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 - ...

I must say Sky, that article got me genuinely interested in GPU tech again.

Could you clarify how the power efficiency vs temp test was done? It sounds like you ran the same F@H WU over and over at different fan speeds, but the 70% fan comment makes it sound like something else.

Also curious to know if you looked at the fan OEM when you took the heatsink off.

Also curious if you know why Nvidia didn't put a hole on the back of the PCB this time around.

Sorry if I'm pestering with questions. Early morning.
Old November 9, 2010, 07:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

If I hadn't just bought a 2nd 480 recently, I would seriously consider this card.
Old November 9, 2010, 07:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Excellent review as usual SKY

Looks like it could be a winner, the lower temps, noise levels and power consumption really is great to see, it would appear they did their homework and got it right this time around.

Old November 9, 2010, 08:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Price is where I thought it would be and performance is very good. wondering if I made the right choice going with 2 460's or waiting. lol oh well. I'll wait for price drops or more stock for these lol

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter