Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9, 2010, 10:20 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Thanks again for the F@H numbers Sky!

Still too expensive for the current WUs available though as a good folding@home card. If some WUs are released that scale well with the number of shaders, then we may see the true folding potential of this card.

That being said, for PPD/watts, it looks much better than my 470!!

HWC folding numbers for this popping up on folding news sites:
FAH-Addict : News - Further information about the GTX580
Fold for team #54196

Last edited by chrisk; November 9, 2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old November 9, 2010, 10:30 AM
Rookie

Default Scaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Don't forget, despite the recent advances, multi-card still isn't perfect - you're still more driver dependant (especially in the latest games that are more likely to actually need it), and not all game aspects lend themselves to being split across two cards. And even aside from those generalizations, some of us have been personally burned on multi-gpu in the past, and we'd just as soon avoid the chance of hassle.
Maybe so but current events has the 6800's series of cards from AMD scaling VERY nicely with the new DX11 games.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/gefo [...] i-review/6
Can't wait for Hardware Canucks to do a crossfire review !!!
Old November 9, 2010, 11:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate0007 View Post
Maybe so but current events has the 6800's series of cards from AMD scaling VERY nicely with the new DX11 games.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/gefo [...] i-review/6
Can't wait for Hardware Canucks to do a crossfire review !!!
I'm quite aware of the current numbers, believe me. But I still quite clearly remember giving multi-GPU from both camps a try, and in both cases, giving a big one-finger salute to FRAPS, because the claimed FPS was actually making things look worse than with a single card. Far too many reviews these days that just crunch out the numbers, without commenting on the actual experience.

I know things have improved a lot since then, so when I put a Sandy Bridge rig together, I may just consider giving it another try.
Old November 9, 2010, 11:39 AM
MVP

How does EVGA make a black ops edition, and not include the actual game? What the hell is that?
Old November 9, 2010, 11:40 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
May I make a suggestion? Since your reviews almost always include power consumption data and usually include and average price tag, it would be nice to see some PPD/W and PPD/$ comparison charts. I understand this information can be surmised based on the information provided, it just would be nice to see it in a clear, easy-to-understand graphical representation.
Since pricing is so fluid these days, going through the motions of that would be mostly pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
nice. the current draw safety thingie worries me a bit. looks to be a tad more aggressive hen it should.
Oh? My ASUS card runs above 1025Mhz without an issue. How do you figure the current limiter is too aggressive?
Old November 9, 2010, 11:57 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
How does EVGA make a black ops edition, and not include the actual game? What the hell is that?
Ya when I heard about that I howled.
"Let's offer a black ops edition. Redesign the cooler with a special look, market the packaging with black ops design, and put Black Ops in the name.... BUT you have to buy the game separately.

R U SRS?
Old November 9, 2010, 12:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Nice to see the GTX580 being a good step over the GTX480. Now hopefully the 6970 compairs and we get a good price war going on.
Old November 9, 2010, 12:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Not too shabby, seeing an average of about 12fps over my gtx 480 @ 1900 x 1200 resolutions. Good to see they got the heat problem taken care of. Looks to me, that this is what the GTX 480 was supposed to be and the naming scheme got screwed to avoid losing more ground on to ATI for the past little bit. Regardless, i solved my gtx 480 heat and noise issues with a waterblock and have zero regrets of purchasing this card. But the gtx 480s are falling out of the sky now so it looks like a great time to get a sli option.
Old November 9, 2010, 12:04 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Since pricing is so fluid these days, going through the motions of that would be mostly pointless.

Oh? My ASUS card runs above 1025Mhz without an issue. How do you figure the current limiter is too aggressive?
interesting. and it stays there, no throttling,at all?

now, if the driver goes, will it fry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
Not too shabby, seeing an average of about 12fps over my gtx 480 @ 1900 x 1200 resolutions. Good to see they got the heat problem taken care of. Looks to me, that this is what the GTX 480 was supposed to be and the naming scheme got screwed to avoid losing more ground on to ATI for the past little bit. Regardless, i solved my gtx 480 heat and noise issues with a waterblock and have zero regrets of purchasing this card. But the gtx 480s are falling out of the sky now so it looks like a great time to get a sli option.

wait till they hit the 250-275 price point ;)
Old November 9, 2010, 12:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
interesting. and it stays there, no throttling,at all?

now, if the driver goes, will it fry?

wait till they hit the 250-275 price point ;)
That seems to be what most are offering on gtx 480s lol. Ive gotten some pretty entertaining offers on mine .