Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14, 2010, 09:28 AM
Banned
F@H

cancel em, why spend more? get a couple when they're 100 cheaper a pop ;) if need be
Old November 14, 2010, 09:31 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

TBH, I think the 580 is a great card, but I don't think it would be wise to upgrade from dual 480s to dual 580s unless you are a benchmark junky. ;)

When I go high end I like to skip a generation before replacing them. That way I KNOW when I upgrade they will be a worthy upgrade. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 14, 2010, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just re-TIM'd my 580 with MX2. Dropped my idle temps 2c, and load temps a whopping 11c.

I'm REALLY unimpressed with the manufacturing job on the Vapor cooler. The copper base is machined, and probably 25-30% of one edge is completly unmachined. This means my cooler is actually not making contact with the heatspreader on nearly one quarter of the GPU. Not happy. I'll post some pictures later, but I'll say this much: nV is getting better at applying TIM, but apparently totally fails at QC of their coolers....
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old November 14, 2010, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Dan / aKg

Thats my plan 1st thing tomorrow AM......cancelling my order ;) Sometimes a long weekend to think things over (and a little gaming with what you got)....helps me think rationally....as far as Benching, meh...once you hit that "high" score the "junkie peek high" has hit and then its done!

It will be interesting to see how these Cards perform at 2560 x 1440....

Old November 14, 2010, 09:58 AM
Banned
F@H

sarge, waiting for the pics :)

any other reports on the matter?

still, 11c at load is nuts

btw, for the curious

Disable GeForce GTX 580 Power Throttling using GPU-Z | techPowerUp

better power consumption my parrot's food! :D

Last edited by _dangtx_; November 14, 2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old November 14, 2010, 10:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Why not water cool or get some omnis for your 480's and overclock. With a high enough overclock you will get the performance of the 580 without the cost of the 580 and get it quieter and cooler.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old November 14, 2010, 10:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
sarge, waiting for the pics :)

any other reports on the matter?

still, 11c at load is nuts

btw, for the curious

Disable GeForce GTX 580 Power Throttling using GPU-Z | techPowerUp

better power consumption my parrot's food! :D
Well, in all fairness, OCCT/Furmark are artificial stressers, and don't really correspond to any "useful" load (i.e. games, f@h, etc). This issue has come up before, back when OCCT was tripping the current limiters. Nvidia's optimizations seem to have revolved more around making the less efficient transistors actually do something, instead of just sitting around and leaking, which is necessarily going to show benefit in a non-gaming app.

The whole thing is a little annoying, tbh. If a motherboard's power circuits were doing this kind of limiting with a CPU, it'd be instantly regulated to the sub-$150 dollar bracket. But it seems to be becoming matter-of-course where $300+ GPU's are concerned.
Old November 14, 2010, 11:10 AM
Banned
F@H

the fact that the soft limiter is there gets on my nerves. i went tru the websites and reviews, and some games/scenarios/you name it put the 580 at or sometimes a bit over the 480 for power consumption. all its needed now is the limiter to be tweaked with those games..come on nv...
Old November 14, 2010, 11:47 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
i went tru the websites and reviews, and some games/scenarios/you name it put the 580 at or sometimes a bit over the 480 for power consumption.
Bullshit. Thermal differences due to the change in heatsink alone mean the GTX 580 will consume less power than the GTX 480.

On a chip level there isn't much difference but it is the thermal characteristics that allow one to stand out from another.
Old November 14, 2010, 12:18 PM
Banned
F@H

so cooling both cards with the same cooler type would yield similar numbers? :)