Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2010, 09:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkultra View Post
the point is nobody's going to downclock a 580 but people do OC 480 to 580 speed

guessing is easy to do, actual results is something else
The point is to see how much faster it is clock for clock. And it's about 1/15 faster. That's not a guess, or a coincidence. It also goes to show that the things like z-culling improvement don't make much of a difference.

The GTX 580 is a fully enabled 480 (16 sm's) with better efficiency, and thus is capable of higher clocks, lower power consumption and less heat output. What's wrong with that?
Old November 13, 2010, 09:13 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Sorry if it's been posted already, but I don't think it has.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Barely Faster than GTX 480 at Same Clock Speeds - Legit Reviews

Underclocking causes the hot clock / chip clock to go slightly out of sync which will reduce overall rendering efficiency and pretty much negate any benefits the GTX 580 has. This makes it absolutely useless for comparative testing. To put this into layman's terms, the architecture is made to operate at a certain minimum speed.

Overclocking the GTX 480 to GTX 580 levels on the other hand will usually result in a 5-8% difference from one chip to the next. 10-12% is possible as well in certain situations.
Old November 13, 2010, 09:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

mikenilli did i quote YOUR post?

at least sky understood, they did the comparaison backward what more can i say
Old November 13, 2010, 10:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Meh, I'm bored. Just throwing in my two cents.

It's interesting that downclocking the 580 didn't seem to affect the results in the Anand review, as SKY mentioned. It was still reasonable faster than the 480
Old November 14, 2010, 05:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I didnt actually know that could occur Sky, I've always assumed the major reasoning for clockspeeds was just more design and binning. Its interesting to note what you say; That cards require a minimum speed to run at, or they just plain suck.

As for the rest of the graphs, even discounting what Sky said; Architectural improvements wont show up in every game. Technically from what Ive read about the 580, the changes to the design should make a game like Metro2033 theoretically show more improvement clock-for-clock... Dont forget that in other games, the 580 showed upwards of a 15%+ improvement clock for clock, and then another 10%+ for the clockspeed bump.

Even that metro33 graph still shows a 4% FPS bump, all while drawing ~10% less power at idle AND load, and producing less noise.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old November 14, 2010, 06:57 AM
MVP

My System Specs

one thing we have to keep in perspective when talking about 580 performances is the drivers, from when the 480 went out and now, the drivers evolution gave a pretty good boost in game, I'm expecting nvidia to come up with more efficient drivers for the 580 too in the near future
Old November 14, 2010, 08:01 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I didnt actually know that could occur Sky, I've always assumed the major reasoning for clockspeeds was just more design and binning. Its interesting to note what you say; That cards require a minimum speed to run at, or they just plain suck.
It is usually a case by case scenario but I have seen it happen plenty of times in my own testing. However, it is more than binning. There are very particular aspects within some GPU architectures that act quite odd when underclocked. The GTX 200 series in particular had this issue since shaders / core speed could be clocked separately. It didn't show up in GPGPU apps but doing some thing like underclocking the shaders caused some disproportionately large in-game performance hits.

Fermi cards display almost this same problem even though hot / processor clocks are linked at a 2:1 ratio. Personally, I think this is because once the processor clock is decreased in speed, the rest of the rendering pipeline (TMUs, ROPS, fixed function units, etc) aren't able to operate at peak efficiency since they are sitting around waiting for information.

In addition, we can't forget that any "lower clocked" derivatives of the GF1xx cards also have other changes to their architecture and not just lower clock speeds.
Old November 14, 2010, 08:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
It is usually a case by case scenario but I have seen it happen plenty of times in my own testing. However, it is more than binning. There are very particular aspects within some GPU architectures that act quite odd when underclocked. The GTX 200 series in particular had this issue since shaders / core speed could be clocked separately. It didn't show up in GPGPU apps but doing some thing like underclocking the shaders caused some disproportionately large in-game performance hits.

Fermi cards display almost this same problem even though hot / processor clocks are linked at a 2:1 ratio. Personally, I think this is because once the processor clock is decreased in speed, the rest of the rendering pipeline (TMUs, ROPS, fixed function units, etc) aren't able to operate at peak efficiency since they are sitting around waiting for information.

In addition, we can't forget that any "lower clocked" derivatives of the GF1xx cards also have other changes to their architecture and not just lower clock speeds.
Yeah I am going to have to agree from my F@H Experiences SKY in regards to this. I found when clocking in all my cards , we would really put all the clocks out of wack in an attempt to push our shades to the absolute limit. And because of that I found that any of my folding rigs would play their games with reduced performance across the board.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 14, 2010, 09:13 AM
Banned
F@H

so basically if you have a gtx 480 oc from factory, dont buy a 580 unless you need a quieter/cooler card?
Old November 14, 2010, 09:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Honestly Dan, that is the only thing that appeals to me is the fact that the 580's run cooler.....I'm still debatig on cancelling my 2 x 580's tomorrow AM.....NCIX doesn't have em in Stock anyhow.....gaming last night onmy 2 x 480's and thinking why am I so keen to ditch these 480's? Their friggin awesome......

btw
My 480's are Vanilla Cards and I can OC em huge...up to 825 Core 2000 Memory......higher will Voltage increases.