Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #131 (permalink)  
Old November 13, 2010, 07:13 PM
MVP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canaduh
Posts: 376

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTA View Post
Disable GeForce GTX 580 Power Throttling using GPU-Z | techPowerUp

this stuff is interesting... i wonder how fps gain it will be...?

there is one gigabtye that sells gtx580 for 490... Buy Gigabyte [GV-N580D5-15I-B] Gigabyte GeForce GTX 580 Fermi 772MHZ 1536MB 4.0GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E Video Card

but imho, i will not buy nvidia gtx 580 for 400+... i would wait for new generation of nvidia...

or amd if its greatly improving over hd 5870 and i will buy it...
so a respin from nvida is a no go but from amd it's fine?
we'll see how the 6970 performs but i don't see it improving that much on the 580, hopefully for amd they will prove me wrong

the power limiter is only supposed to kick in when using furmark and such, but who knows
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #132 (permalink)  
Old November 13, 2010, 07:22 PM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 5,932

My System Specs

Default

Correct ...Throttling only occurs when running Furmark....

Quote:
but imho, i will not buy nvidia gtx 580 for 400+... i would wait for new generation of nvidia...

or amd if its greatly improving over hd 5870 and i will buy it...
don't know about the reasoning behind waiting for the nv next Gen.....
ATI.....if it does outperform the 580....it will be priced accordingly!
__________________
Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

.
Reply With Quote
  #133 (permalink)  
Old November 13, 2010, 07:26 PM
geokilla's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,631

My System Specs

Default

Sorry if it's been posted already, but I don't think it has.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Barely Faster than GTX 480 at Same Clock Speeds - Legit Reviews

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #134 (permalink)  
Old November 13, 2010, 07:33 PM
MVP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canaduh
Posts: 376

My System Specs

Default

i wonder why they didn't include 480 @ 580 speed too
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #135 (permalink)  
Old November 13, 2010, 07:47 PM
CTA's Avatar
CTA CTA is offline
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: surrey (vancouver) bc canada
Posts: 2,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkultra View Post
so a respin from nvida is a no go but from amd it's fine?
we'll see how the 6970 performs but i don't see it improving that much on the 580, hopefully for amd they will prove me wrong

the power limiter is only supposed to kick in when using furmark and such, but who knows

honestly mid-end hd6870 is impressive and improving over old hd 4xxx series... esspecially at high resolution...


and this quote is very interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Sorry if it's been posted already, but I don't think it has.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Barely Faster than GTX 480 at Same Clock Speeds - Legit Reviews


but you should recheck some graphs at hwc... you will notice that gtx 580 handle game at high resolution much better than other... for decent resolution, its average...


rj, why do you care about score... i would look at performance of game over gpu score...

and i dont think its only for funmark... we just need full reivew on limiter...
__________________
---
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Reply With Quote
  #136 (permalink)  
Old November 13, 2010, 08:02 PM
geokilla's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,631

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkultra View Post
i wonder why they didn't include 480 @ 580 speed too
Cus a forum member requested that the GTX 580 be downclocked to GTX 480 speeds. If the GTX 480 was overclocked to GTX 580 speeds, I'd guess the results would be similar as what we see here.

Now it's just one benchmark cus that's what the member requested but it's interesting nonetheless.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #137 (permalink)  
Old November 13, 2010, 08:37 PM
MVP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort McMurray, AB
Posts: 261

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Cus a forum member requested that the GTX 580 be downclocked to GTX 480 speeds. If the GTX 480 was overclocked to GTX 580 speeds, I'd guess the results would be similar as what we see here.

Now it's just one benchmark cus that's what the member requested but it's interesting nonetheless.
They did the same thing over at Anandtech. It depended on the game, but the typical result was a 7% improvement at the same clock speeds (due to one extra SM and whatever architectural improvements may or may not be helping) and another 8-9% improvement from clock speeds. Legit Reviews is far from legit, btw
Reply With Quote
  #138 (permalink)  
Old November 13, 2010, 08:49 PM
geokilla's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,631

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
They did the same thing over at Anandtech. It depended on the game, but the typical result was a 7% improvement at the same clock speeds (due to one extra SM and whatever architectural improvements may or may not be helping) and another 8-9% improvement from clock speeds. Legit Reviews is far from legit, btw
Really? Can you link it please?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #139 (permalink)  
Old November 13, 2010, 09:10 PM
MVP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort McMurray, AB
Posts: 261

My System Specs

Default

Here's the link

It's part of their SLI review too, check out the page before it for more info
Reply With Quote
  #140 (permalink)  
Old November 13, 2010, 09:50 PM
MVP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canaduh
Posts: 376

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Cus a forum member requested that the GTX 580 be downclocked to GTX 480 speeds. If the GTX 480 was overclocked to GTX 580 speeds, I'd guess the results would be similar as what we see here.

Now it's just one benchmark cus that's what the member requested but it's interesting nonetheless.
the point is nobody's going to downclock a 580 but people do OC 480 to 580 speed

guessing is easy to do, actual results is something else
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB & GTX 460 768MB Review Comment Thread SKYMTL Video Cards 126 August 20, 2010 11:01 AM
Comment Thread for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 SLI Review SKYMTL Video Cards 48 April 19, 2010 02:49 PM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 275 Roundup Comment Thread SKYMTL Video Cards 34 June 8, 2009 12:19 AM
EVGA GeForce GTX 280 Review Comment Thread SKYMTL Video Cards 105 July 31, 2008 05:42 PM