Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   XFX Issues Fix for HD 6850 High Idle Fan Speed (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/37699-xfx-issues-fix-hd-6850-high-idle-fan-speed.html)

SKYMTL November 4, 2010 04:48 PM

XFX Issues Fix for HD 6850 High Idle Fan Speed

I know some of our forum members were talking about this so I reached out to XFX.

XFX issues a BIOS fix after some users reported their HD 6850 cards running at 70% idle fan speed.

We have it hosted if you need it ASAP.

[ Read full article ]

_dangtx_ November 4, 2010 05:32 PM

rbe gave a warning about possible corruption, i dont have an xfx to play with currently but i take your word for it. indeed, looking at the duty cycle and the like they worked on it.

they could've set some more aggressive features, such as rbe's auto settings, but it looks ok.

Soultribunal November 4, 2010 05:40 PM

Much appriciated, I'm going to apply it as soon as I can to the twin cards on my friends build and see how it works.

ST

SKYMTL November 4, 2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 446468)
rbe gave a warning about possible corruption, i dont have an xfx to play with

So why even mention corruption? If you don't have an XFX card, of course it will show an error due to the different power profiles, etc. :doh:

BrianHanna November 4, 2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 446482)
So why even mention corruption? If you don't have an XFX card, of course it will show an error due to the different power profiles, etc. :doh:

yea, i did this earlier today, the fans are quiter now, but after having the 4870s, these going at 73% sounded quiet lol.

Now it's impossible for me to notice =P.

I had to do something else to get overclocking to work though.

_dangtx_ November 4, 2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 446482)

sorry,i should've been more specific.
it gave me an error as in integrity error. you would not think i might've tried to flash it to another card, brother sky? :)

SKYMTL November 4, 2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 446517)
sorry,i should've been more specific.
it gave me an error as in integrity error. you would not think i might've tried to flash it to another card, brother sky? :)

Considering there is a specific warning on the bottom of the news post, I would hope to hell not...

martin_metal_88 November 5, 2010 08:09 AM

How much time I told you that XFX were using cheaper PCB and crappy fan and cooler design...It's not surprising for me to see this news. But well let's see what they will do.

SKYMTL November 5, 2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 (Post 446653)
How much time I told you that XFX were using cheaper PCB and crappy fan and cooler design...It's not surprising for me to see this news. But well let's see what they will do.

By all means, show to me where XFX has produced ANY card that has changes implemented that would reduce its life expectancy versus the rederence design.

I have never seen an XFX card without at least a 6-layer PCB and the necessary power distribution to run the GPU.

_dangtx_ November 5, 2010 09:12 AM

pcb this, pcb that. you guys better link to the noobs so they get it too :)

Printed circuit board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia