Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2010, 12:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
How much time I told you that XFX were using cheaper PCB and crappy fan and cooler design...It's not surprising for me to see this news. But well let's see what they will do.

crappy fan and cooler design? what?

it's great, i have 2 in my case, and it's super silent imo (have a haf 932 case, so if it was loud, i'd hear it).

and it's very cool.
Asus p6x58d-e / i7 930 @ 4ghz / G.skill 1600mhz 2x3gb 9-9-9-24 / Corsair TX750 / XFX HD 6850 1GB x2 @ 870/1070/ Coolermaster HAF 932 / Noctua nh12-up / Western Digital 500g Caviar black /Western Digital 1TB Caviar black 60Gb/ Seagate 7200.11 500g / OCZ Vertex 3 SSD / Samsung 2253BW / G5 / MX518 /

Old November 5, 2010, 12:24 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

To be fair lower end XFX do have some pretty bad heatsink designs....BUT ALL cheap GPUs have crappy heatsinks...and the 6870 aint a low end card!

XFX is one of maybe 3 or 4 companies I would buy from.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 5, 2010, 12:28 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
By all means, show to me where XFX has produced ANY card that has changes implemented that would reduce its life expectancy versus the rederence design.

I have never seen an XFX card without at least a 6-layer PCB and the necessary power distribution to run the GPU.
From what I heard, I think the materials XFX uses are cheaper than some of the other companies. For example, MSI brags about their materials and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
To be fair lower end XFX do have some pretty bad heatsink designs....BUT ALL cheap GPUs have crappy heatsinks...and the 6870 aint a low end card!

XFX is one of maybe 3 or 4 companies I would buy from.
What's the other 2 or 3?
Old November 5, 2010, 12:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommie986 View Post
From what I heard, I think the materials XFX uses are cheaper than some of the other companies. For example, MSI brags about their materials and such.

What's the other 2 or 3?

But you do end up paying the premium on such items. still I don't feel that any of the XFX cards I have ever purchased have been poor materials.

And MSI might brag but how are we to actually know unless we tear it down and check each component? I do know that they have very nice HS designs (i.e. Twin Frozr).

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 5, 2010, 12:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
But you do end up paying the premium on such items. still I don't feel that any of the XFX cards I have ever purchased have been poor materials.

And MSI might brag but how are we to actually know unless we tear it down and check each component? I do know that they have very nice HS designs (i.e. Twin Frozr).

ST

to be fair here, XFX cards (especially the 6850s i bought) tend to cost quite a bit more than the other counterparts.

but i put up with it for the lifetime warranty.
Asus p6x58d-e / i7 930 @ 4ghz / G.skill 1600mhz 2x3gb 9-9-9-24 / Corsair TX750 / XFX HD 6850 1GB x2 @ 870/1070/ Coolermaster HAF 932 / Noctua nh12-up / Western Digital 500g Caviar black /Western Digital 1TB Caviar black 60Gb/ Seagate 7200.11 500g / OCZ Vertex 3 SSD / Samsung 2253BW / G5 / MX518 /

Old November 5, 2010, 01:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHanna View Post
to be fair here, XFX cards (especially the 6850s i bought) tend to cost quite a bit more than the other counterparts.

but i put up with it for the lifetime warranty.

Yeah that is a distinct difference from the other companies out there. And XFX makes good its warranty. You either get the same card or better usually.
Mind you when I purchased the ones for the build I did (not my own rig) they were priced identically to other board partners out there.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 5, 2010, 01:11 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Yeah that is a distinct difference from the other companies out there. And XFX makes good its warranty. You either get the same card or better usually.
Mind you when I purchased the ones for the build I did (not my own rig) they were priced identically to other board partners out there.

ST
I have nothing against XFX, just I head stuff from other people on other forums (my GTS 250 is XFX). Also, it sucks how the 68xx's from XFX dont' come with any accessories (other than CF bridge).
Old November 5, 2010, 01:24 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

MSI for their kickass heatsinks
Evga for their warranty

Usually XFX, MSI and EVGA have me covered so at that point it would be on "case by case" basis with Asus or maybe GB for the 4th spot. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 5, 2010, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommie986 View Post
I have nothing against XFX, just I head stuff from other people on other forums (my GTS 250 is XFX). Also, it sucks how the 68xx's from XFX dont' come with any accessories (other than CF bridge).

actually, they didn't come with a crossfire bridge.

I was quite disgusted to realize i would have to go out at 8 at night to get a bridge to get my cards into crossfire.

luckily i was able to nab one for 5 dollars.

edit: NCIX.com - Buy XFX Radeon HD 6850 775MHZ 1GB 4.0GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI Display Port HDMI PCI-E Video Card - HD685XZNFC In Canada.

annoyed, price for a brand new card lowered 20 dollars 2 days after i buy it? was i charged the wrong price or something lol?

time to call ncix and see what there price match policy is.

EDIT: i love NCIX lol

Last edited by BrianHanna; November 5, 2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old November 5, 2010, 02:08 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHanna View Post
actually, they didn't come with a crossfire bridge.

I was quite disgusted to realize i would have to go out at 8 at night to get a bridge to get my cards into crossfire.

luckily i was able to nab one for 5 dollars.

edit: NCIX.com - Buy XFX Radeon HD 6850 775MHZ 1GB 4.0GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI Display Port HDMI PCI-E Video Card - HD685XZNFC In Canada.

annoyed, price for a brand new card lowered 20 dollars 2 days after i buy it? was i charged the wrong price or something lol?

time to call ncix and see what there price match policy is.

EDIT: i love NCIX lol
XFX Radeon HD 6850 775MHZ 1GB 4.0GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI Display Port HDMI PCI-E Video Card - DirectCanada