Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2010, 08:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

oh I figured the chip itself was the issue. if it's the entire board.. rokkit.

and I don't think you'd burn the flux at a reasonable setting. (i.e - solder melting) I mean that's what it's designed for.
Old November 5, 2010, 08:26 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Would any of you want cook with an oven after it's been used for such a purpose?

That's just gross. I could understand if you used an old oven. Like what people do when they DIY powder coating.

But using a perfectly good kitchen oven to heat up solder on pcb? Chemicals get released when that shit heats up. Then that leeches into whatever food you cook in that oven afterwards.

Ridiculous.
Old November 5, 2010, 08:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
Would any of you want cook with an oven after it's been used for such a purpose?

That's just gross. I could understand if you used an old oven. Like what people do when they DIY powder coating.

But using a perfectly good kitchen oven to heat up solder on pcb? Chemicals get released when that shit heats up. Then that leeches into whatever food you cook in that oven afterwards.

Ridiculous.

lol. Not saying that you are right or wrong, but it's hard to prove that IF any hazardous chemicals are released, that they will get into your food. It's also hard to prove that that isn't exactly what happens either. Most (maybe not some really old ones) cards are ROHS compliant though.

I also eat fish that may be full of mercury and use a microwave
Old November 5, 2010, 09:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post
lol. Not saying that you are right or wrong, but it's hard to prove that IF any hazardous chemicals are released, that they will get into your food. It's also hard to prove that that isn't exactly what happens either. Most (maybe not some really old ones) cards are ROHS compliant though.

I also eat fish that may be full of mercury and use a microwave

I think he actually may have a point. I'll have to ask someone who is more qualified than me but you get vapour and such when anything like that heats up.

Anything is possible.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 9, 2010, 05:19 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I just did this last night on an old 2900XT that wouldn't post. It owes me nothing at this point but was a good emergency backup/test bed card. 10 mins at 385f and it booted up no problem! My wife was in the kitchen the entire time and never complained about any off smells (she has a nose that can smell anything ).
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old November 9, 2010, 05:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Personally I would be more concerned with what I am taking in daily from (municipal)water and food that has not been in the same oven as a mobo or gfx card. Sure, the crap left in the oven cannot possibly be good for you, but you are buggered from pretty much everything else nowadays anyway.. What is the point? You cannot stop it, resistance is futile. (Borg would smoke the F@H servers like nothing else, btw)

Also, population control++
Looking at it from a more paranoid concept; mr.secretsociety's perspective that is. We are (mostly anyway) reasonably intelligent people here. We -as reasonably intelligent people- are a threat to attempts to control and contour the population. It is good if we die off fast because we are no longer around to resist, only the shape-able masses remain and are much less hassle.
:P

Anyway, back on topic. ;)
Old November 10, 2010, 06:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varroa View Post
10 mins at 385f and it booted up no problem! My wife was in the kitchen the entire time and never complained about any off smells (she has a nose that can smell anything ).
Well it's not primarily about what fumes you can and can't smell. You're heating up solder, pcb, and flux. The heat is still going to release traces of these materials and traces of it will stay in your perfectly good oven. Unless you'd like Flux and solder with your cookies you might want to thoroughly clean your oven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
Personally I would be more concerned with what I am taking in daily from (municipal)water and food that has not been in the same oven as a mobo or gfx card. Sure, the crap left in the oven cannot possibly be good for you, but you are buggered from pretty much everything else nowadays anyway..
"Blah, blah, blah, life is a death sentence and everything conspires to kill me so why even bother?" It's not really a drastic lifestyle change to buy a water purifier, and prepare your own meals that don't consist of prepackaged sh#t. That is if you're actually concerned and take an active approach in regards to your health. Instead of concern, followed by apathy, followed by solder in your cookies

You can't possibly weed out everything damaging to your health. But every little bit helps. If someone's contempt with their choices, perfectly fine and dandy too.
Old November 10, 2010, 11:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
It's not really a drastic lifestyle change to buy a water purifier, and prepare your own meals that don't consist of prepackaged sh#t.
I am not actually on municipal water and I avoid a fair bit of prepackaged shit(also do not eat out), but everybody is still exposed to tons of crap from all around.
Old November 14, 2010, 05:22 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Heh -- actually, intelligent people are a means of population control. More likely to consider the consequences of unprotected sex, and more likely to be able to figure out how to correctly use birth control.
Old November 14, 2010, 05:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Listen guys, as a chemical engineering student, I can tell you there is no harm from baking your graphics cards in an oven. It's very simple actually:

In a typical lead based solder, there is lead, and tin, and sometimes bismuth. Since lead has the lowest melting temperature (~330C), I will focus on that one element, since all other elements contained in solder can use the same principles.

So what happens when you heat something like lead? Well, at a certain temperature and pressure, there is something called the solidus, an area on the temperature vs pressure curve where solid and liquid CO-EXIST, in a certain equilibrium based on the exact temperature and pressure.

On the upper end of the scale, there is something called the liquidus, which is an area on the temperature vs pressure curve where liquid and vapour (or gas, as you might call it) CO-EXIST in a certain equilibrium based on the exact temperature and pressure.

(these are just rough calculations here, but they serve to demonstrate a purpose)

Since you are baking at around 200C, and the pressure can be defined as 1 atmosphere (~101.325 kPa), AT BEST, the lead in the solder would remain in the solidus equilibrium state. This means, as above, that there is only liquid lead, and solid lead present in the system.

Now, from here, to get lead vapour (liquidus, remember), you either have to increase the temperature in the oven to around 2000C OR decrease the pressure to abour 20kPa. Neither of which is possible, so it can be safely assumed that it is safe to bake your video card in an oven at 200C, with no fear of leaking chemicals or whatever.

tl;dr: NO threat because temperature isn't high enough to produce a vapour.