Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30, 2010, 02:57 PM
Rookie

Default Popped Cap replacement on an fx7300gt

I just aquired a pair of fx7300gt 256meg cards for what i thought was a good deal. seems its a case of buyer beware as i discovered after i got them home that the some of the caps are popped. wondering if there is anyone out there with experience replacing caps on video cards, if its likely its just the caps (there are only two of the larger ones burst) or something else as well. also, the caps are poorly labeled and im having a hard time finding replacements. i believe they are 1500micro farad 6.3v. they top of the cap says JL 1500 6.3v and thats it. ill upload a pic if thatll help. Any advice would be really appreciated.
Old October 31, 2010, 10:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Upload a pic if possible. Usually electrical supply stores will carry Capacitors and such.
Or you could buy them where I Do online at Digi-Key. I get most of my electronic stuff from them, Usually its because I am replacing bad caps in Flat Screens that wouldn't come out of sleep mode.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 31, 2010, 10:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

roger that on the flatscreens not coming outta sleep mode...and bad caps on motherboards and powersupplies etc etc etc...

/rant

-----

yea a photo would help.

Typically in 'non-psu' devices , electrolytic capacitors are used in a filtering capacity , so the values are not so important , as long as they are 'big enough'.

I usually replace with the same or larger capacitance , and 'the-next-highest-voltage-rating'.

Old October 31, 2010, 11:37 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Gotta love 7300GT's and blown caps

DigiKey Corp. | Electronic Components Distributor | Canada Home Page or .com or whatever. I think they have like a minimum $20 order though. They're a pretty common value, I had a bunch kicking around for fixing motherboards. Probably somebody selling them on Ebay for next to nothing.
Old October 31, 2010, 12:50 PM
Rookie

Default Uploads of two fx7300gts with popped caps

Great, thanks for all the help! Ive used Digikey in the past for projects, I'm just unsure what to order. If someone could give me a part number I would really appreciate that! Also, would I just replace the popped ones or should I replace all the caps in the same area? Is there a general rule of thumb for this stuff? Thanks again for all your help
Attached Images

Old October 31, 2010, 12:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Umm I can try looking at the site and see what I find.
I wonder if those are the Aluminum style Caps that you have popped.

At this point, I"d say don't take the chance and replace them all. And Digi Key is pretty damn good, if you send them in a Picture they can usually find it.
I've done that in the past.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 31, 2010, 01:11 PM
Rookie

Default caps

Yes, they are aluminum. The top of them say JL 1500 6.3v. I am guessing this is the manufacture the farad and obviously the voltage, but on digikey i couldnt find that info and I dont know what is a safe alternative.
Old October 31, 2010, 01:31 PM
Banned
F@H

if you can spare a few more cents, get some 'heavier' caps to replace them with.
Old October 31, 2010, 05:21 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

1500F, 6.3V, General Purpose, 20% (higher capacitance and voltage won't really matter these are for bulk storage anyway)

You'll have to measure the lead spacing and the height (if you have height restrictions) Panasonic, Nichicon and United Chemi Con are all good brands. My best guess based on the pic's is

Digi-Key - P10203-ND (Manufacturer - EEU-FC0J152S)

I would replace ALL of the capacitors of that size even if they haven't popped.
Old October 31, 2010, 07:59 PM
Rookie

Default help

Right on. thanks for your help and the info.

Tags
capacitor , card , replacement , video