Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 31, 2010, 07:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

its not that simple, would need a ESD safe electronic temperature controlled soldering station for the static discharge also a solder sucker

and pay attention to polarity of caps the shaded side = negitive, match them up to PCB
Old October 31, 2010, 07:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
its not that simple, would need a ESD safe electronic temperature controlled soldering station for the static discharge also a solder sucker

and pay attention to polarity of caps the shaded side = negitive, match them up to PCB
Yeah , that's why I have my Hakko Station downstairs.
Cost me a lot, but its worth it. Mind you , you can make due with less and a little ingenuity and I've done it with less and had it work.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 1, 2010, 04:48 PM
Rookie

Hey thanks all for your help and info. problem solved as the seller allowed me to return the hardware, i got my money back. easier and cheaper than picking up a soldering station! lol
Old November 1, 2010, 04:49 PM
Banned
F@H

cool. for reference sake, may we know who sold you those defective cards without mention of the issues?
Old November 1, 2010, 07:07 PM
Rookie

Default current ad

he has them back up on kijiji. upon return he claimed that they still worked and admitted he new about the popped caps, and it leaves me wondering why he neglected to tell me in the first place. the ad is here:
2 EVGA 7300 GT PCI-E SLI Video Cards - Barrie Computer Parts For Sale - Kijiji Barrie Canada. current as of november 01 2010. later all.
Old November 1, 2010, 07:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatardvr View Post
Hey thanks all for your help and info. problem solved as the seller allowed me to return the hardware, i got my money back. easier and cheaper than picking up a soldering station! lol
Yes its much cheaper, I saved for a long time to get my station. Its worth it though.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old November 1, 2010, 07:49 PM
Rookie

Default station

I agree. I'll be saving up for one as well. Ive modified xbox's in the past with a 40watt soldering iron. fun stuff. would like some good equipment.
Old November 1, 2010, 08:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Yeah , that's why I have my Hakko Station downstairs.
Cost me a lot, but its worth it. Mind you , you can make due with less and a little ingenuity and I've done it with less and had it work.

ST
yes can do by heat up a cheap pencil iron then un-plug from wall and touch ground then solder till it cools then repeat
Old November 1, 2010, 08:33 PM
Banned
F@H

thanks man. added him on the sht bookmarklist.

ps contact kijiji
Old November 2, 2010, 08:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatardvr View Post
I agree. I'll be saving up for one as well. Ive modified xbox's in the past with a 40watt soldering iron. fun stuff. would like some good equipment.
Never had to do an X-box as of yet. Most of mine are on Receivers, Amps, Projectors etc etc. AV and staging equipment. Learned from my father on that stuff, pretty neat to have a unit that does all sorts.

ST

Tags
capacitor , card , replacement , video