Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 29, 2010, 09:35 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMantle View Post
****** http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">****** name="ProgId" content="Word.Document">****** name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11">****** name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"> First time posting on this Forums. Great work on your reviews of AMD 6xxx cards SKY, in my opinion this is the best way to present the FTW card, without including it on the 6850 and 6870 release day but on an OC special article. What I’m curious of is about the Morphological AA, have you try it out? Can it be used with any game with the latest Catalyst drivers? is it any good in most resolutions? Or is it better on higher resolutions? How exactly does it compare to MSAA in your opinion?, Can you post a graph of the frame rate hit you get using it compared to MSAA?, I have read about 10 HD6xxx articles and not a single one mention something like this.

Keep the good work.

Sorry for my English.
Unfortunately, I have had issues getting MLAA working in most games.
Old October 29, 2010, 09:55 AM
Rookie

****** http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">****** name="ProgId" content="Word.Document">****** name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11">****** name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"> Oh OK, that’s good to know. I hope we can see an article about this when AMD fix the problems. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old October 29, 2010, 10:07 AM
Rookie

Default Good Job

Nice read Sky. ofc I understand the 460 FTW choice, the ATI fanboys over at Anandtech went nuts when it was included in their initial review. I still liked yours better.
In my mind, shopping for a $200-$250 card comes down to price (is there a sale), availability (can I get it) and consumer loyalty (Nvidia uses too much power, ATI has crappy drivers etc..).
When ATI releases the newer 6900 series it will be interesting to see if this generation of Fermi's will stay within spitting distance performance wise or if ATI will blow the doors of the barn.
-Chris
Old October 29, 2010, 10:47 AM
Top Prospect

Good to see that anyone who disagrees with factory OC cards suddenly appearing in reference reviews (with no prior history) , particularly in favor of the opposition, must be ATI fanboys. I understand.

Know why no one got mad a Overclockers Club for doing the same thing? Because they have a history of doing such, and people know what to expect from them. Plus, they actually bothered to OC the cards under review.

BUt, this has been discussed to death.
Old October 29, 2010, 11:07 AM
Banned
F@H

again, unless you fold or use cuda, im still not too sure the oc'ed 460 cards are a good/better buy around the same price point.
Old October 29, 2010, 12:55 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
GTX 460 reference = HD 6850 OC competition
Actually, from the original review, it appears that the 6850 doesn't need to be OC to be = to the 460. In fact, according to Techpowerup (in order to relay a similar display) the 6850 is even or 2% better with the 460. Unless, however, you factor games that show a preference for Nvidia GPU.'
Old October 29, 2010, 12:59 PM
Rookie

Another “first post”. SKYMTL, I follow your work from the posting you make on other forums on the internet. First, GREAT review. Thank you for putting in the time to really, give the community what it wanted. I legitimate overclocked review. Second, why did you choose to exclude (all) Call Of Duty titles? I know even MW2 is a year old now, but COD4 & 5 are really the only two games I play anymore (due to modding community).
Old October 29, 2010, 01:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

While I'm not part of the review staff, I can say that the list of games that HWC uses in the review process gets updated regularly, and SKYMTL tends to choose games that are both popular and demanding on the hardware. While the Call of Duty games were popular, they are all DirectX 9 titles and are 2 steps behind the curve, so to speak. If I recall correctly COD:WaW was part of the testing suite at one time, but has been replaced by more current DX10 and DX11 titles.

EDIT: I got curious and looked. The last review using CoD: World at War was the Sapphire 5970 OC edition, in November 2009. Sapphire Radeon HD 5970 2GB OC Edition Review

Last edited by SugarJ; October 29, 2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old October 29, 2010, 03:48 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Is it safe to assume this review didn't include the Catalyst 10.10c Hotfix?
It includes:
Performance optimizations for AMD Radeon™ HD 6870 and AMD Radeon HD 6850:
Aliens versus Predator performance enhancements
Star Craft 2 performance enhancements.

It would be interesting to see how much of a performance boost AVP and SC2 get, if this review was done before hotfix 10.10c was out.
Old October 29, 2010, 04:34 PM
Banned
F@H

im sure sky would not only make it his passion to redo all the benches and what not if he didnt use the hotfix (doubt it meself) or make it his top priority.

hmmm

Drivers:

NVIDIA 260.89 WHQL
ATI 10.10 WHQL