Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2010, 11:38 PM
Banned
F@H

easy on the bioses swaping guys. make sure its the same exact pcb first. part number doesnt hold a candle to safety.

might seem weird but a small difference(say monday vs thursday made ) could lead to trouble
Old October 24, 2010, 12:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHanna View Post
nah, im not just going to upgrade for dx11, it's going to require a boost in performance as well.

At this rate i won't need to upgrade until after i upgrade my CPU (and motherboard and ram)
Sounds like the case, chances are the 69 series cards won't offer much by way of a performance increase over that setup either. If you extrapolate the way things are going, the high end 28nm cards will be ur next best upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHanna View Post
Am i missing something here?

6870 is like 150 LESS than a 5870, has better power consumption, and at worse is as good as the 5870?
lol 5 series prices will drop with time when retailers figure that they can't get rid of them, atm they probably paid a fair bit for their stock and haven't marked it down to its net realisable values

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandL View Post
Were not looking to upgrade to the 6*** series we want price drops on the 5870's i want another one(well thats just me). but im not willing to shell out another 400 bones for one (gotta be a vapor x) plus shouldnt you upgrade only if the upgrade is 3 tiers above your current card?
lol the three tier rule is rubbish IMO, it depends on ur requirements, how much more powerful the new cards are relative to your one and the pricing structure

Last edited by lKashl; October 24, 2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old October 24, 2010, 08:06 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
F@H

Great review, SKY!

Looks like it may finally be time to replace my old faithful HD4870
Old October 24, 2010, 08:46 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Are you guys following what's been happening at Anandtech? Its crazy, people are apparently extremely upset that AT decided to throw in an eVGA 460 FTW card in there (26% pre-overclocked out of the box). Something I've never really known about was that some companies apparently try to get a favour in for a review:

"NVIDIA called asking for us to include overclocked GTX 460s in the 6800 series article. I responded by saying that our first priority is to get the standard clocked cards tested and that if NVIDIA wanted to change the specs of the GTX 460 and guarantee no lower clocked versions would be sold, we would gladly only test the factory overclocked parts. NVIDIA of course didn't change the 460's clocks and we ended the conversation at that. We gave NVIDIA no impression that we would include the card despite their insistence. The decision to include the EVGA GeForce GTX 460 FTW was made on our own entirely."

I didn't realize there is so much behind the curtains of a review. Although when I think about it, it does make sense because it is the numbers on charts that we look at that constitute our reasoning for graphic card purchases (unless you're a fanboy I guess).
Old October 24, 2010, 09:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

We try not to comment on the goings-on at other websites (not that I haven't been guilty in the past.... ;) ), but the link you posted is dead so I'm assuming they've shut it down for now. ;)

As a general comment, it should be no surprise that competetors try to put their own products in the best light, and that since reviewers must work closely hand in hand with their marketing depts, those dept.s are going to make suggestions as to how their products should be compared to something new on the market.

edit: Looks like they merged two threads into one.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 24, 2010, 09:14 AM
Top Prospect

What disappointed me-if I recall- is that they included a ridiculously overclocked 460 FTW, but didn't include the overclock estimates for 68xx series in any of the game reviews.
Old October 24, 2010, 09:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think this should almost start its own thread, Dark-Colonel, but I'll let the mods decide that for us.

You've hit something on the head that Ive been thinking about for the past couple days now, and I think it warrants discussion.

People always talk about clarity in reviews, the 'scientific' method used to determine the performance of the device. In the Scientific world, if your results are published without a repeatable method to achieve the same results by an independent source, they are immediately condemned and pritty much ignored by everyone. This is why reviewers post things like their system specs, and here at HWC they even show you their benchmarking technique. Clarity.

However, Im torn about the interwebs latest reviews, with the info coming down the pipe from this 6800 series. Anandtech basically tells us that EVGA (and possibly nV?) 'asked' for them to change the way the scientific method was done, and AMD short-stroked review times so that some sites could only do 3/4 a review, while excluding certain feature sets like CF or Overclocking. Reviews, as I said above are about clarity, but many of these sites refused to identify why CF wasn't done, or didnt OC'd the review units, or used Overclocked 'comparison' cards, or later retracted and issued a release of information. This doesn't follow the model of clarity.

Now, that being said, using Anandtech and his blog about EVGA/nV, does it really promote any more clarity via what he has done? Your bolded points really make his statement almost ambiguous, dont they? Paraphrased together they basically say "EVGA asked us, we said no, but then we went ahead and did it anyways." This statement doesnt lend much credibility to Anandtech saying that they are impartial and unbiased, at all. It actually totally clouds the situation in my opinion. Just to further muck the issue of what information should be (possibly) kept hidden, and what should be made available; HWC didnt perform overclocking benchmark due to (rightfully so imo) a lack of review time to release. However, this wasnt stated in the review as to why they wernt included. If it had of been made know that the reviewers time was short, this would have just made clarity better.

It really reminds me of that time period 4 or 5 years ago in reviewing, when some sites where ATI or nV biased, and you REALLY had to watch where you got your results from. Its not even close to that today, but it does leave a bad taste in my mouth due to the information after the fact that is coming out about these reviews. Heck, now we have to question what else in former review on sites was editied or kept secret, dont we?

TLDR: What information should be kept private, and what should be made available to the public?
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 24, 2010, 09:16 AM
Top Prospect

Personally, I think they caved into pressure from Nvidia; of course they aren't going to admit it.
Old October 24, 2010, 09:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
EVGA asked us, we said no, but then we went ahead and did it anyways." This statement doesnt lend much credibility to Anandtech saying that they are impartial and unbiased, at all
My thought exactly. Anand could've been better to keep it shut, instead of saying "we decided to do it on our own"....

It proves the pressure the review sites are getting from the Hardware makers...XBITLABS got into a little bit of "shtuff" when they crap-talked FERMI...it took a long time for them to get review samples that they might have had to buy on their own..

It's not surprising...lobbying, hidden threats, freebies/goodies, "privileges of getting scoops/first samples"...directed info...strategies...NOTHING to do with the cards themselves...

I couldn't care less about factory maxed-out cards in a comparison...those factory OCed FTW cards DON'T belong in the review...

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old October 24, 2010, 09:48 AM
Top Prospect

BTW, there are still biased review sites, case-in-point.

Legit Reviews only has the reference 6850 and 70 facing against ridiculously overclocked 460.' They, like Anandtech, didn't even to bother to show the overclocking potential of the 68xx cards in the game benches. WTF? However, at least Anandtech was kind of enough to feature reference 460'.

But, as someone told me elsewhere, no one takes Legit Reviews seriously.