Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 22, 2010, 02:33 PM
Top Prospect

People are arguing that the GTX 470 is better than the 6870........Well, yeah....It's a freakin upper scaled card that's being forced to compete with a cheaper mainstream card. However, it's only like 3-5% better in most tests, and this is against reference 68xx series cards!

Anyway, people are using the "Physx" argument to justify Nvidia's superiority.....(sigh)

[/rant]
Old October 22, 2010, 02:50 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
I agree I hate the iPhone mobile site. It is useless and should have a link to go back to full site.

As far as these cards go not too impressed till you look at price. Still waiting for AMD to counter the GTX 480 so they could lower the prices and maybe I would get a 3rd 480. The 6970 is what is going to be interesting for me. Not this medium stuff .

No need to upgrade anyways. Don't know why people with 5870's are looking to upgrade as you would loose performance.

Were not looking to upgrade to the 6*** series we want price drops on the 5870's i want another one(well thats just me). but im not willing to shell out another 400 bones for one (gotta be a vapor x) plus shouldnt you upgrade only if the upgrade is 3 tiers above your current card?
Old October 22, 2010, 03:21 PM
Trial Member

I have not upgraded my computer for about 4 years now. Since the new DDR3 format has come out, I have been on the fence about building a new mid-range custom gaming PC (400-600$, since I lalready have a 600w PSU and case ready for the upgrade. However, purchasing a new video card has held me back because I have been patiently waiting for a good deal to get one of the ATI 58xx cards. Now these 68xx series comes out! Video cards seems to be a very cutthroat business dedicated toward die-hards, just realizing how fast this video-card business moves on to the new thing, much like fashion (ie. designer jeans: any remember rock and republic jeans or true religions, I would have never got caught wearing them even when they were trendy). I might as well go with my new plan to get a PS3 slim that has limited PC capabilities for about $200 and get some more juice out of my current PC for a little while longer. Although, I have been too busy to ever come to a final decision on what route to take.

Short version: I am gonna wait some more before buying a new video card.
Old October 22, 2010, 03:31 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Great review but your site still isn't working on my iPhone Touch. You mentioned you were working on it on Oct.17. Can you really afford to give up the hits from 120 million iPhone, Touch and Pad users? Perhaps you could just remove the code that checks for an iPhone browser so they can view it like they were meant to. Instead of only 1 paragraph of black and white text.
I agree I hate the iPhone mobile site. It is useless and should have a link to go back to full site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
I agree I hate the iPhone mobile site. It is useless and should have a link to go back

The traffic from ALL mobile devices constitutes less than 1% of our traffic - I don't think we are missing out on much.

And yes we did mention a mobile version is in the works. The current "mobile website" was simply a stop gap because people were clamoring for "just install a simple plugin to let us browse instead of not being able to load the page at all". Unfortunately we listened I'll see what can be done about getting it disabled.
Old October 22, 2010, 05:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
The traffic from ALL mobile devices constitutes less than 1% of our traffic - I don't think we are missing out on much.

And yes we did mention a mobile version is in the works. The current "mobile website" was simply a stop gap because people were clamoring for "just install a simple plugin to let us browse instead of not being able to load the page at all". Unfortunately we listened I'll see what can be done about getting it disabled.
Hey, we 1%'ers are loud though! And we went from being able to load the site perfectly fine to an unusable site. I think all that needs to be done (much like on other sites) is to have an option to enter the full site, and to remember that preference... like wikipedia. Not sure how hard that is to do though...
Old October 22, 2010, 05:56 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Updated the review with pics of the Sapphire card.
Old October 22, 2010, 11:05 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I'm wondering if anyone else got the XFX HD 6850? I've noticed that the fan idles at around 70% and goes up to 80% while playing games. Does anyone else notice this with there card?

Thanks
Old October 23, 2010, 03:37 AM
MVP

Anyone with a DX11 card need not upgrade. In fact, owners of GTX 470, HD 5850&5870 can benefit from the 68xx series' launch by adding 2 to 4 way SLI/Crossfire in their rigs for far cheaper than before. If money's not an issue, not me, then you could wait for the 69xx next month.

HOWEVER if you game for long hours on a daily basis, then the lower monthly electricity bill should be a valid reason to buy.

Building a new sub 1,200$ system @ 1080P 60hz, on the other hand, you won't find better than the 68xx series.

As for the ultimate 1,500$ system @ 1080P 120hz, 6870 CF should push away the GTX 460 SLI out of the spot light. (forget about multi-display with acceptable performance in this range unless resolution is below 1080P 120hz)

Heads up on the Asus HD 6870 CF Review in Techpowerup!
Sorry Whizz but you used the old drivers and the results are not accurate nor impressive. Guru3d reviewed it with the latest drivers, and this 480$ beast is second only to the 1,000$ 480 SLI. It beat the 600$ 5970, and outperformed the 800$ 5870 CF (Must be the old drivers). Just remember that this setup, like 460 SLI, has reached its limit and can't be upgraded graphics wise.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon...firex-review/7
Just worth mentioning that AMD still has driver issues, to get the same performance as Guru3d did, you need to put some effort rather than Nvidia's simple plug&play hardware. Idiotic, blasphemous, as a business and as product aimed at newbies. Not a problem for most of us I guess?

Last edited by Luay79; October 23, 2010 at 03:43 AM.
Old October 23, 2010, 07:22 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post

As for the ultimate 1,500$ system @ 1080P 120hz, 6870 CF should push away the GTX 460 SLI out of the spot light.
The 6850 itself surpasses the 460 1gb in CFX, let alone the 6870.
Old October 23, 2010, 08:33 AM
Rookie

*sigh* regret buying another 5850 for crossfire. Should've waited for 6870.