Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2010, 05:57 PM
Banned

Default 3d Vision goes from "gimmick" to "ubiquitous"

I've been writing about my experiences with 3d Vision, and subsequently 3d Vision Surround, for almost two years now and one of the more common responses from non users is "3d Vision is a gimmick, won't last".

Today I think I can finally say that 3d Vision and the NVIDIA 3d related technologies have achieved mainstream market penetration with over 1000 products in the 3d Vision ecosystem:

The NVIDIA Blog - 1,000 Products Now Support NVIDIA 3D Vision
Old October 18, 2010, 07:31 PM
MVP
F@H

I'd disagree.

Look at this community of enthusiasts. I haven't seen that many posts about people talking about how they've shelled out for a system to game in 3D. And if it hasn't penetrated the enthusiast community, it'll be a while yet before it becomes mainstream.
Old October 18, 2010, 07:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

having 1000 product using 3d vision doesn't make it mainstream, is just means NVIDIA is pushing his 3d market hard

i don't see hardcore gamers playing so many hours on 3d, i guess it's cool once in a while but most people report being annoying over a certain period of time, plus you have to wear those damn glasses
Old October 18, 2010, 07:49 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I'll throw in my opinion, since many ask me about 3D in general: It's a not quite a gimmick, but it's also not exactly "mainstream" either. To be honest, I think it's a grab for more money for all those involved: Hollywood has been unsuccessful at stopping movie piracy so they are bringing back 3D simply as a means to keep the masses in their theaters. Technology manufacturers then can use the "bring home the experience" scheme to draw even more cash in.

It's a money grab, plain and simple if you ask me. Why not give us 4k x 2k movies? True 7.1 (or greater) surround sound? Oh wait, no, that costs more money to develop then they'll make selling 3D stuff. Bah.

... No more ranting for me now Off to get some shut-eye.
Old October 18, 2010, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I consider myself an Enthusiast (novice Enthusiast) and I'm not in the least bit interested in 3D Gaming tbqh.......the glasses ......ugh....even 3D TV's on display don't do anything at all for me....3D always has been a gimmick and always be ......the only way I see it Mainstream is when the technology goes beyond wearing the glasses.....

Old October 18, 2010, 08:56 PM
Banned
F@H

basically in 5-10 years or more? :)
Old October 18, 2010, 09:33 PM
Banned

Granted, a lot of the products are supported games. (a good thing) But there's no denying the rate of adoption by hardware manufacturers which is presumably fueled by demand for products.
Old October 18, 2010, 10:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

3D is kinda meh to me. I would rather see Physx more common and better utilized with Nvidia officially allowing their GPUs to be used along side ATI/AMD ones. It would seem such thoughts are extreme wishful thinking though. >_>
Old October 18, 2010, 10:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It'll be mainstream when they lose the glasses and pretty much every screen sold is 3D capable.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old October 19, 2010, 05:46 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

You guys are forgetting something: with 3D Vision Play, the system is now compatible with many LCD HDTVs. IMO, this alone makes it MUCH more accessible to people who want to give 3D a try.

HOWEVER, I personally think stereo 3D + movies will be nothing more than a gimmick until more native stereo 3D movies are released. Crap like Clash of the Titans, Coraline, etc is giving a bad name to 3D.

3D gaming on the PC is something altogether different. I find it translates extremely well in certain genres like racing and FPS. On the other hand it doesn't add anything to strategy games.