Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2010, 11:59 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
the only way I see it Mainstream is when the technology goes beyond wearing the glasses.....
That is not very far btw, Ive seen an LG concept sometime last christmas that has achieved this, albiet, it was very basic.

I saw the TV as a demo in LG's showroom windowcase in one of Dubai's malls. On the screen, there was an apple, and it was placed behind an orange. Standing directly in front of the TV, you could not see the apple, but as you move your head around while your feet are stationary, you manage to see the edges of the apple peeking behind the orange, and as you step a few feet to the left or right of the TV, you could see the apple in it's entirety.

I don't understand the technology very well, but from what i gathered, the TV is essentially a group of many TVs squashed into one screen. The screen was clear and I did NOT wear glasses. Having said that, it was a little weird to look at.

You know those currogated plastic cards that have two images on them? You see one image from one angle, but another image when you look at it from another angle? It was the same idea, just on a screen, and with much more angles.

The technology does seem to be far advanced compared to today's 3D TV (imagine the computing power required to process that!), but if a concept can be achieved, its a sign that it 3D without glasses is not too far away.

In a sense, that can be called 'True 3D' as the image changes with respect to your location relative to the screen. So the image you see from one side will not be the same as what someone else from another angle is seeing. I can only see this working with computer animation applications (movies/games), but i cant see this being effective for real life captures as you would simply need many cameras placed very far apart. Today's 3D Technology is merely an illusion.

EDIT: I should also note that the image was static and was not a movie, but still if they managed to pull it off with a picture, it should be possible with a series of frames

Rig // PC-A7010 :: 1050W :: Rampage :: Q6600 :: 8GB :: GTX 260
X25-V :: 4x 1TB RAID-5 :: 2x 1TB RAID-1 :: 4x 1.5TB :: 1x 2TB
G15v2 :: MX-518 :: Xonar DX :: 7 Pro x64

2408WFP :: DT770/80 :: Onkyo TX-SR605 :: Klipsch RB-61 :: SVS PB10-NSD
Old October 20, 2010, 02:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

@ Empty Quarter

All the big electronics giants have glasses-less 3D happening right now. Mostly for commercial efforts and some require things be filmed with a special camera. I believe Toshiba and Sony (maybe others too) are actually releasing no glasses 3D TVs within the year in Japan.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old October 20, 2010, 02:23 PM
Rookie

Dont the glassless ones require your head to be in a particular position? and isn't it the same optic principles that cracker jack has been using for their prizes since the 70's? [honest questions, not trolling]
Old October 20, 2010, 02:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

3d is useless for me as I can't see the effects.

I was dragged to a 3d movie in theatres and it did nothing for me.
Old October 20, 2010, 03:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Milch View Post
Dont the glassless ones require your head to be in a particular position? and isn't it the same optic principles that cracker jack has been using for their prizes since the 70's? [honest questions, not trolling]
Ya I am pretty sure these first efforts won't be anything too awe inspiring, just more gimmicks imo. But it's steps in the right direction if we really want 3D tech to be in every home one day.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old October 21, 2010, 07:15 AM
Allstar

Technical progress are basic economic logics. Since the begining of the 20th century has it been like that. It's called the diffusion of innovations.

All technologies, for a reason of progress and more functionnality of course but mostle for a reason of MARKET, have to diffuse innovations in cultures to increase profit. You've all seen it before (example, vinyl records, cassettes, cds, dvd, blah blah)

Have a good read here :Diffusion of innovations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And the appearance of 3d will make much more sense and you'd be more aware of all the hype going into it.

Last edited by TimTheEnchanter; October 21, 2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old October 21, 2010, 08:05 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

For me, the way they present 3d itself has to change. All foreground objects become the center of your attention. Because they are shoved out in your face. A scene in avatar where 2 guys are talking in a lab and all I'm focused on is the lab table they are standing behind because it feels like I can reach out and touch it. In real life you are never focused on what is nearest to you, you focus on what has your interest. To me the current 3d draws your focus away from what you are supposed to be looking at.
Old October 21, 2010, 08:18 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
For me, the way they present 3d itself has to change. All foreground objects become the center of your attention. Because they are shoved out in your face. A scene in avatar where 2 guys are talking in a lab and all I'm focused on is the lab table they are standing behind because it feels like I can reach out and touch it. In real life you are never focused on what is nearest to you, you focus on what has your interest. To me the current 3d draws your focus away from what you are supposed to be looking at.
Goes along with Hollywood's kind of production. Movies are entertaining to the eye and nothing else now.

Old October 21, 2010, 03:55 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
I wonder if that will change. Apparently when talkies first started appearing, the quality of the movies went down because all that mattered was having sound in your film. And the technology at the time was so clunky and heavy and big (microphone size) that production values suffered. Not that that mattered, because just having the words 'with sound' on your movie poster would sell the movie, regardless of quality. But over the course of a few years, sound was fully integrated into the creative process and stopped being a gimmick.

I don't know if it will be the same for 3-d because I don't find it realistic at all and it is always calling attention to itself, and it degrades certain aspects of the visuals. Whereas good sound doesn't call attention to itself and doesn't degrade anything, it just enhances the story.